Attach studs to basement wall

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint (DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a vapor barrier, then drywall.

Any suggesting would be welcomed. Thanks Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

Flat or normal orientation? If flat, a dab of adhesive and powder-actuated fastener--exact type, charge depends on whether it's poured concrete or block.

Personally, I pefer to simply frame the wall on the floor and tilt it up in place for sections that are accessible, just like framing a normal wall...attach toe plate (treated if on concrete floor) to floor and top plate to joists or blocking...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I offer this alternate, FWIW. It won't be to everyone's taste:

I Drylocked the block wall, then glued rigid foam to block wall, then glued drywall to the foam.

Absolutely rigid. You can run into the wall head first and not damage the drywall! No gaps in the insulation and no fasteners to break up the block.

You *do* need to give attention to installing utilities behind the wall though.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I spaced my "false wall" about 1/2" away from the existing concrete wall (already treated by a previous owner with DryLok or something similar) with a sheet of heavy plastic sheeting in between (just in case) and attached it to the floor and the joists.

BTW, I used 2x6 studs to get the extra thickness (and corresponding higher R-value) of insulation: R-19.

Perce

On 02/05/05 11:02 am Platebanger tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

A little spray foam from a can?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Hi, R19 on a baement wall? Wow! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It depends a lot on where you live. Look at this site:

Fine Homebuilding mag has a good article in the March issue on this subject.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Tapcons work well

Reply to
m Ransley

I used Remington Power Fasteners, but only used 2x3 studs.

Rich

Try to get a permit and you will be saying WOWSER WOWSER WHOOOOOOHIE. The code now is R -21 in Wa. state its a higher density insulation for a 2X6 inch stud.

Reply to
rnr_construction

On 2/5/2005 11:02 AM US(ET), Platebanger took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I placed a plate on the floor and used a power gun (.22 cal) with concrete nails to secure it. You don't need a lot of nails. I then nailed up a top plate to the joists, making sure it was plumb to the bottom plate. Then installed studs 16" OC between the plates and toenailed them in.

Reply to
willshak

I'll second that. Get a small hammer drill, it will make short work of it.

Reply to
John Hines