AT&T DSL

Page 3 of 3
On 8/27/2013 7:28 AM, CRNG wrote:

I have both Comcast Xfinity (50/10) and AT$T Uverse (6/.768)
Obviously Comcast is 9x faster but they are both very stable and I have not had a problem with either one.
The only thing I don't like about the Uverse Motorola NVG510 modem is that it doesn't have a true bridge mode so your stuck with the NVG510s built in router...which really sucks.

When are these people going to learn how to spell?

I have Uverse 3 pro internet with uverse ip phone. Local tech/install I can honestly rate excellent. Have had to contact tech support one time for an outage during a nasty thunderstorm. No phone service so I had to use my cellphone. Uverse tech support was very good and reset the connection which restored service. You didn't ask about billing so I won't go into rant and rave mode on this but I will say "Get it in writing!!!". NVG510 can be "bridged" according to this link: http://help.activepbx.com/KB/a84/how-to-put-an-att-nvg510-router-in-bridge-mode.aspx
"NVG510 bridge mode" in a Duck or Google search brings more references.
--
Mr.E

AT&T does a fair/good job with service in the Cleveland area. I used their DSL service for about 6 years and then switched to U-verse when it became available in the neighborhood. The standard DSL failed several times until AT&T switched to another line a few poles away. They said squirrels had chewed the lines in the junction box. But it was slow such that any streaming video stopped and started and was a pain to watch.
Neighbors told me they had switched to U-verse so I called AT&T to find out if I could get it too. They insisted it was not available on my street; but the pole 10 feet from my house fed the neighbor's house and they had it, so AT&T finally came out and checked. We had U-verse installed the next week for both the phone and internet. That service has been fine now for the last couple of years. I recall only one brief failure. There's a battery back-up that's supposed to take the system through a couple of hours when the power goes out. Just checked the speed (AT&T supplies the modem and router for a monthly fee) and it's running 11.5 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up with the computer hard wired to the modem. My wireless speed is about 10 Mbps down on the laptop.
Tomsic
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:28:08 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:

lems. -- Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers a nd having to visit 10 different news stands to pickup each one. Email list- server groups and USENET are like having all of those newspapers delivered to your door every morning.
But a bridge tap, that is open at the far end, will look like a short-circu it somewhere back toward its junction with the main line. The length of br idged line that will look like a short-circuit at the bridge tap depends on the electrical characteristics of the bridging wire and the frequencyof th e signals. But if the overall circuit is close to being marginal, the extr a 50 feet of wire bridged onto the main wire may very well be just enough o f an impedance discontinuity to render the DSL ineffective. When we conver ted to DSL, I made sure that the line/wire from the telco point of presence to where the DSL signal was filtered/split off from the main telephone lin e was a straight shot, no splices or any dicontinuities. Once past the DSL filter, the phone line goes to several locations in both star and mesh con figurations.
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:57:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

While that's true, it forgets (at least) two thing. For realistic taps, the resonant frequency is far above what DSL uses (or what the phone line is capable of). The other assumption is that there is no learning between the modems. The modems are capable of negotiating baud rates and symbol depths to avoid network anomalies (sometimes down shifting because of crappy networks - i.e. you don't get advertised bandwidth).

Bullshit. DSL isn't go/no-go. It isn't that dumb.

That's a good thing to do, but it doesn't matter much. Most homes now have telephone "stared" from a media closet to each room. DSL modems tend to be put next to the computer. It works.

Every new house is wired this way. It doesn't matter.