Asphalt siding

We have some really ugly siding. It's a pressed asphalt product made to look like wood shingles. A little information can be found on: http://www.arkansaspreservation.org/history/siding_index.asp
and the extracted picture specifically:
http://www.arkansaspreservation.org/images/photos/siding/ahpp_img_pauls_garage.jpg
It's not so much the product (heck, it looks fairly good for being close to 40 years old) but the color.
Anyone have any idea why this couldn't be painted? (We've actually done a small section on a third floor balcony (half enclosed) where it can't be seen from the street, and could be easilly replaced with a different material.... no problems seen yet)
Recomendations for type of paint? (oil/latex/alkaloid) I would think an outdoor latex, since it will move with the material.... but then wood moves and i would think an oil based paint would be good for that... so perhaps i'm off the mark.
--
be safe.
flip

http://www.arkansaspreservation.org/images/photos/siding/ahpp_img_pauls_garage.jpg

hmmmm... interesting... hadn't thought of that... that would also be a good argument against an oil based paint... as the carrier might affect the shingle.
I really don't think i have to worry too much about the volatiles though.... the siding has been on for an estimated 40+ years.
Also the test area we've painted shows no sign of seepage.
Thanks Greg!
--
be safe.
flip