Asbestos Popcorn Removal Question

Page 2 of 2

Just making sure you do the research in the right place. I've got 3 amazing hardware stores within 10 minutes of my home, and their personnel never cease to amaze me. A plumbing supply place, too, which has saved at least two weekends from turning into train wrecks. The internet only goes so far.

Either way, exposure is minimal. Get on with your life. Your mistake was not asking about all this first, and diving into the project without knowing about it or taking any precautions.
Are you going to think ahead next time?
Maybe that's the best thing to come of this.
Steve

I own up to this "mistake". We all make them. I'm not lying in bed wondering if I'll live or die; I'm at work "getting on with my life."

I hope so. But if you're best friend and you were sitting in your den watching the game and he says to you, "Hey, I do that for a living and could knock that small project of yours out during the half time game." Would you tell him, "Well, okay but only after I go into the computer room and do some research to make sure you aren't overlooking something... you know in case you suck at your job or something."
See my response to JoeSpareBedroom. This was an isolated incident and I don't expect it to happen again, but who knows. It really doesn't matter. I'm looking for solutions to this single asbestos prolem, not a therapist.

Perhaps. There are always multiple lessons to be learned in any event.
Ninja67 wrote:

The good news is you and your family no longer have to floss.
You took a sample to a testing center. Now you will have to disclose to any prospective buyers that the house was once infested by asbestos and that it was removed by an amateur.

The testing company did not require an address, so they don't know where I live. Also, the house was built during a time when nearly all houses have asbestos, so anyone buying a home that age should probably assume asbestos is in the ceiling. Since I only tested one ceiling and some have been redone by previous owners, I could answer "maybe" to the question of whether or not the ceilings contained asbestos and I wouldn't be lying.
In short, disclosing asbestos content is the least of my worries. I'm much more concerned with telling potential buyers about the aluminum wiring which has never caused me problems but seems to scare off people.
Ninja67 wrote:

Asbestos. Aluminum wiring. Is your house built atop an abandoned sludge pit or cemetery too?
You can hope for the best.
The testing company got your name and credit card number. For all I know, they get a reward from the state for snitching you out. Or, more likely, from shysters looking to add you - involuntarily if necessary - to a class-action suit.
Burlington-Northern Railroad? Knock-knock.

I wouldn't worry too much. Usually when you remove it you wet it down and scrape it, the moisture keeps it together. The problems occur when it is disturbed dry and the dust is "kicked up" and inhaled.

Thanks. I'll run a damp rag along the walls while the furniture is still out of the room and make sure I do a good job vacuuming the carpets. Sounds like I don't have much to worry about.

Talk to the asbestos testing place and/or seek other professional advise. A lot of people here are downplaying the hazard. Others believe differently. Who do you want to trust with your family's health? My understanding is that once asbestos gets into your lungs the body has no way to get rid of it.
Bob

While you understand correctly, you don't see the entire picture. The asbestos is encapsulated in the paint. There is only a tiny amount to start with so thee is little chance of the fibers actually getting into the air. The problem with asbestos is for people working in the mines and processing plants, some installers in shipbuilding. The overall scare has been greatly overblown. There is a very good article in Reader's Digest last month about the lawsuits on this type of thing.

Funny how even just good house keeping can reduce the levels of foreign mater in a home. Hopefully the vacuum gets used daily, and the right air filter is purchased for the furnace.
Disclaimer: Not an asbestos expert.
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Unlike the rest of life, in this case Orwell was right: ignorance is strength. If you had taken down the ceiling without ever questioning or testing, you'd be free and clear in so many ways.
(1) Yes, you've exposed everyone in the house to asbestos, but most likely not at a level even close enough to cause medical problems with the spouse and kids. Take the precautions outlined in other messages - cleaning the room, duct cleaning, replacing your air filter regularly and promptly.
(2) What have you done with the waste from the project? Now that you know it contains asbestos, you can't just take it to the local landfill, legally. Knowingly dumping the material is a violation of Bob-knows how many state and federal laws regarding the disposition of hazardous materials. CYA if you haven't done so already and look into a disposal company. It may seem a total pain in the keester but it will protect you from lawsuits/fines.
I'm sorry. I might have missed it. But the last time I saw, the OP was meaning to take it in for sampling, or going to take it in for sampling, but hadn't yet.
Was this ever tested?
Steve

Not needed. Please, look up the regulations. Thee are many forms of asbestos that just have to be bagged and landfilled. There is nothing unsafe about asbestos in this form. Only friable asbestos is a problem. Skin contact will NOT harm you. Educating yourself about asbestos will calm your fears.

Again, and I repeat myself ..........
was this ever tested?
Steve

Try reading the post.
"Then last night I discover that the material probably contains asbestos so I took it into a testing center today and indeed it does"
If it were me I (and this is what I have done) is to use a shop vac vented to the outside without a filter. (shop vac with a 20' hose)
Its basically sucking out everything and getting it all out.
Then I would wipe the walls and surfaces down.

On Feb 2, 9:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Did you decide on a course of action? If not at least isolate the room and the HVAC vents in and out of the room so that the asbestos containing dust isn't spread around your home.
http://asbestoscoconuts.blogspot.com /
If you look at the first photo there you can see how plastic might be setup and read a bit about how we removed it in a hotel. Toss a post here if you need some additional help to get started, I'm in Hawaii, so our regulations are probably nominally different but not remarkably so. The asbestos in popcorn texture is generally 2-5% chrysotile, which isn't the worst possible asbestos. If you did nothing else but wet wipe all the exposed surfaces, and HEPA vacummed, you would eliminate close to 90% of the problem (barring extensive contamination in your air ducts).
By the way in most places asbestos wastes from residential sources isn't closely regulated so don't lose a lot of sleep over that. Unless you are dumping the asbestos waste in the street or on your neighbours property you probably haven't broken any laws. Once again drop a note here if you have any unanswered questions.
Aloha, Edwin