Well, I would not tell anyone official about it or a truck will appear
with people in it, wearing disposable suits and respirators, and your
wallet will feel ill.
Go down your local council tip and look around for one of those lidded
skips labeled asbestos.
That's a good start, then approach one of the site keepers
(Carefully), and ask how it operates. You might get caught, turning up
with a load when the skip has been removed for emptying, and have to
take the whole load away, because they won't keep it.
Having found you can get rid of it, go home, put a decent mask on and
bash hell out of it, in as eco-friendly manner as you can manage.
Take it to the tip and pray the skip is open.
If anybody (neighbours etc) query it, tell them you have had it
analysed at enormous expense and it just looks like asbestos, but it's
Best of luck.
I have just removed my old garage roof myself I done a search on my local
councils website (Liverpool)
phoned the Mersey waste disposal and have been given an appointment to dump
it free of charge It can only be done on certain days every 3rd Wednesday
and by appointment only also it has to be wrapped in plastic sheeting or
I wouldn't recommend 'bashing hell out of it'. Not an expert but I would
suggest removing and retaining it intact as much as possible seeing as it's
airborne fibres which re the danger. I think that this form of asbestos is
not the most dangerous. I'm sure a bit of web searching would find some
John's right, you don't bash hell out of asbestos, don't even saw or drill
it. The type used in rain water guttering and down pipes is not the most
dangerous but all asbestos is now classed as haziest material. Leave it
whole and double wrap it in Clingfilm for handling and transport. A mask,
disposable coverall suit and gloves are a must. If your taking the asbestos
to the tip in a car, cover the interior of the vehicle. Not sure if using a
vacuum cleaner is the best way to clean the internals a good idea. Some ones
got to empty it. For the small amount on a normal house, providing you
stick to the above, it shouldn't harm you. When you've finished throw away
the mask, gloves and disposable suit and have a shower or bath to rid any
Would like to echo Johns sentiments...
My grandfather has asbestosis..... caught through years working on building
sites, building houses like yours infact, breathing in airborne
He has been pretty well screwed for years, but perhaps if less people were
adviced to bash the hell out of it then less people would have to suffer
like my grandfather!
Sorry to sound boring but it aint a nice thing to see... always be carefull
with asbestos, work with your council and do a proper job, half arsed
measures could end up being very costly
Unfortunately legislation and the reality do not align too well when it
comes to asbestos disposal. White asbestos is harmless, but blue and
brown are a real risk. In the case of blue or brown I would indeed act
with caution, but white asbestos was more an enhancement to building
safety than a threat.
BTW lots of us live in asbestos buildings, with eg asbestos roofs,
artex, asbestos piping etc... white asbestos that is.
Heres the latest science on it:
and a more general info site:
In short, its blue and brown that are dangerous, but not white. The
1980s report that panicked the nation failed to distinguish between the
efects of the different types of asbestos, which are in reality quite
Absolutely fascinating. I've just Googled on asbestos, and realised that
it has been in use for about 5900 years longer than I thought!
I seriously thought it was a modern (1940s/50s) ceramic-like synthetic
The link I found does NOT say that white asbestos is safe. Just that
there has been less incidence of disease with that type.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.