Asbestos

Well, I hope the naysayers who think people get rich from dying of asbestos cancer never get sick themsleves. Incidence of mesothelioma is increasing worldwide, and the majority of new cases have NO occupational link to asbestos - they were exposed through the environment. EPA and WHO and all experts now warn that no exposure - no matter how brief - is safe. A single fiber can induce disease in susceptible individuals. Significant numbers of people with meso trace their exposure to home renovation projects. And because asbestos is not banned, it is still present in consumer goods including many DIY products.

When you are exposed passively or second hand, you can rarely bring any sort of legal case. Most people don't get any remuneration - the few "million dollar cases" are isolated examples. And if you think the lawyers are getting rich, well, why not take a look at the corporations responsible: Dow Chemical, Halliburton, WR Grace - they're not exactly begging for dimes from passersby!

No amount of money can buy back your life, and EVERYONE is at risk. If you or someone you loved was diagnosed with meso, I bet you'd want a cure to be waiting. That's all we patients and families want too....

Reply to
mizzippo

Amen to that. And don't forget that the reason some law suits win is because the companies involved KNEW back in the 1930s that the stuff kills and they conspired to cover it up for continued profits while the people in the know stayed a safe distance.

Reply to
tmurf.1

"... dying of asbestos cancer..." is the flawed premise. Someone with such a disease has to prove its cause and, so far, they've been spectacularly unable to do so.

Dow-Corning was forced into bankruptcy by flawed claims of harm from silicone breast implants.

Anytime anyone implies "It's not about the money...," it's about the money.

Reply to
HeyBub

They were not forced they choose to file bankrupcy in order to protect the assets of the corporation. If the claims are not valid then Dow had many very good lawyers who could fight for them. As for asbestos it is true that many factors come into play in any cancer law suit but mesothelioma (or whatever it is called) is only caused by asbestos. Some of these companies did not exist when the original deception about asbestos was perpatrated but when you buy the assets of a company you also buy the liabilities. So what should we do ? Just let people continue to die rather than address a terrible wrong that has been done?

Reply to
tmurf.1

.

******************************* Them smart lawyers protected the assets. Many a non-valid claim has ended up costing a lot of money or put companies out of business.
*********************** Reader's Digest had a good article about this type of lawsuit a few months back. There are some scams and shady dealings and double and triple dipping by people that are not sick or have other lung problems. Sad for the few that truly deserve help, but just as sad for those that are scamming and taking their potential help away. Congress is not the place to "fix" anything. Keep in mind, the companies getting sued are not paying, we are, in the cost of goods we buy.

As for "letting them die", what do you propose to do to prevent that?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Supporting medical research so effective treatments can be found and people won't be left to die.

Reply to
Faye

The Readers Digest are you kidding me or what. That great medical journal? The scientific powerhouse of literature known as The readers digest. The money that it costs to defend Dow and other companies like it works in their favor because almost no one can spend enough to fight back. As for the dieing why not just try to help them.

Reply to
tmurf.1

Right. And the demand: "Your money or your life" is not a forced choice either.

It is now settled fact that the claims were not valid. Silicone breast implants are back on the market. If we are to kneel at the alter of "truth" or "fact" the plaintiffs in the Dow-Corning lawsuits should be forced to return their awards.

I agree. It's hard to know exactly how many people died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center because asbestos was not used to retard the fire damage to its steel beams. The North Tower - where asbestos WAS used - stood for an hour longer than the South Tower, even though it was hit first.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which is a totally meaningless conclusion because the two hits and subsequent damage were not identical.

Reply to
George

de quoted text -

So is it corporations first and human beings second with you?

Reply to
tmurf.1

The Readers Digest are you kidding me or what. That great medical journal? The scientific powerhouse of literature known as The readers digest.

Read the article and then get back to me. Afraid to read some facts?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski