Ariens Lawn Tractor question.

Hey everyone,

My mom has an older Ariens Lawn Tractor (15 years old?). I don't know the model number at this time.

The battery just won't keep a charge. Replaced the battery and still won't charge in use. She puts a charger on the battery for 8 hours every time she needs to cut the lawn.

Does a tractor like this have an altenator? I'm not that familiar with small engine repair. Is there a belt that goes to an alternator? What charges a battery on a lawn tractor?

-jeff

Reply to
John

Is there an alternator ? look. Many motors have a flywheel based system. Look into a regulator or bad wires first, even a bad ground. It would not run if it was not generating power .

Reply to
m Ransley

My tractor's 18 hp B&S motor has a combo starter/alternator. It is a small cannister that is attached to the motor on the back side. I was having trouble with the charging of the battery. I bought a new battery and the same thing happened. Finally, the starter part of it died too. I took it off and found that it had burned out inside. I bought a new one on-line from some company in China.

Reply to
willshak