Are Vizio's any good ?

Page 2 of 3

For what's worth.
http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency /
Also see "Next: The chart: HDTV power consumption compared" at the bottom of the article.

We also have a Panasonic plasma TV, but about three years old. About a year ago (the set was within days of 2YO) the power supply went on it. It only had a 1-year parts and labor waranty but Panasonic picked up the entire tab without any question. Yes, I'd buy a Panasonic again. Service means a lot.
-- I have two (2), bought about 1.5 years apart. A 32 in. for the bedroom and later a 37 in. for the den. Excellent picture and color, even in a fairly bright environment in the day light. Sound quality on either is mediocre at best. When run through a stand alone stereo, it makes a great system.
HTH
Sparky

We recently shopped for a new TV. We ended up with an LG, but the Vizio was not far behind
A fellow in work has two, a 32" and a 42" and is very happy with them. Do an in-store side by side comparison of brands. Not perfect conditions, but helps.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:12:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Panasonic and Samsung plasma. Big bang for the bucks. Sony LCD. Would buy a Vizio if money was crucial. They've been around long enough to make a name for themselves. Probably use a Samsung panel and some internal parts anyway.

That's a loaded question!
What is your goal?
On 8/18/2010 2:29 PM, desgnr wrote:

In terms of sales numbers, they are now the number-one brand of LCD TVs in the US. Their quality is slightly below high-quality brands such as Samsung and Sony, but as one person put it: Vizio provides 90% of the quality at 50% of the price.

sams club sells vizio, i nearly bought one the other day
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:40:40 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

So what happened?

It would of replaced a bedroom tv that was reported broke, but I hadnt looked at YET, when i got home i found a loose RCA connector the existing tv is working fine...
frankly i would rather spend the bucks on a new primary tv, it usually works ok but its a old tube type 34 inches a energy piggie and a hazard to move it must weight 300 pounds.....
its been acting flakey lately.

That missing 10% is as critical as if you got eyeglass prescription lenses that were 10% different than what you really need. You buy a TV to LOOK at it. When you break down the cost of a great TV over it's service life compared to a pretty good TV, the cost per year differential is negligible.
Ron wrote:

Trinitrons just won't DIE. As long as they work fine, I can't mentally justify the expense. I only watch TV when I look up from the computer screen (also a Trinitron that won't die), or from the newspaper, so the picture quality isn't that critical to me. My eyes ain't exactly hi-rez anymore anyway.
-- aem sends...

JFTR, I didn't write that.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com, AKA justanothermickey, AKA Rob Budd, AKA he doesn't consider 720 to be HDTV, AKA cloning people's screen name because he has NO life did.
Ron wrote:

Oh my, did I bugger up the trimming again? It gets so hard to keep track sometimes. Especially if there is a Google Groups post in there, which often mooshes posts together. But you say somebody is spoofing you? Headers say the message I am replying to right now came from Google, but the previous one came from Eternal September.
But my point remains- even entry-level flat screens are several years off for some of us. We have the cash, we are just cheap SOBs, er, 'frugal', yeah, that's the word. Not being videoheads, our old stuff is 'good enough' for now. When ones that still light up evenly and aren't cracked start showing up in garage sales for twenty bucks, well, maybe.
--
aem sends...

You did nothing wrong. I post through GG 95% of the time so this is the REAL Ron.

Don't blame ya. I just bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma this yr because my 12yr old 45" Mitsubishi RPTV finally bit the dust. All of my other TV's are CRT's....including a 6 yr old 32" Toshiba flat screen (not panel) that has a better picture than some of the LCD's that are now being sold.

Bwhahahahahahaha!
On 8/18/2010 2:29 PM, desgnr wrote:

we've got a 26" in the fifthwheel camper. Cause it was what fit the opening perfectly. About 2 1/2 years old now. Obviously doesn't get a WHOLE lot of use, but we were still living in it at the time, so it has about a full year of full time use, and then intermittent road trips and weekend use. Works great.
--
Steve Barker
I heard you can't get part's,is that true ?
On 8/18/2010 6:21 PM, desgnr wrote:

I can't imagine buying a part for a modern tv OR having it repaired. As little as they cost, i'd just shit can it and go get another.
--
Steve Barker
desgnr wrote:

Main thing when you buy any TV is to invest some time and effort to have it calibrated if you can't do it yourself. In store comparison is often useless 'coz they really jack up brightness and contrast. I have 62 in. Panasonic Viera series Plasma with Blue Ray DVD player and HD cable hook up on 7 channel home theater. All set up by myself including one touch remote control. Only thing is Plasma consumes more power and as a result generates more heat compared to LCD. Plasma viewing angle is better than LCD.