Are Range Hoods Necessary?

Page 2 of 2

Why is this not obvious??? :-)

I do not know ..........
let's see ..............
let's close up all the windows and all the doors and turn on a fire ......................
let's fry some chickenwings and snort the smoke ...........
let's boil cabbage and make sure none of the fumes goes outside ....................
let's cook garlic balls and keep the vampires away ........

Or even just light one wooden match and let it burn for 15 seconds. Is it possible there's an entire chunk of the population who cannot smell anything? This would explain why so many people depend on their smoke alarms to know when dinner's ready.

Ever go to Granny's house and say, "Do you smell that?"
And she looks quizzically at you and says, "Smell what?"
Steve
wrote

At my mother in law's, it was usually her hair burning. Her oven pilot light rarely worked, so she'd stick her whole head in so see where to put the match. WHUMPH! The lady is so cheap that the standing joke in the family was that if she ever needed an ambulance, we were prohibited from calling 911 unless she had a coupon for a discount on the co-pay. She's in a nursing home now, so the city was finally able to dismantle the nearby fire house that was ready to collapse from age.

commercial kitchen, but that was'nt the question. Would I recommend it, yes. IMHO recirculating range hoods are useless, but they meet code for residential.
Dan
"IMHO recirculating range hoods are useless, but they meet code for residential"
I agree. And if they work so well, and save energy, how come all the commercial kitchens at bars/restaurants vent theirs outside? A recirculating one is better than none, but a long way from getting the foul air outside. If I have to use an indoor one, I'd make sure to get the best one I could find, with a charcoal filter.
As for blaming this on food cooking technique, that's just silly. Try making a dish like blackened fish, or pan fried fish, without fouling up the house.

Even just boiling a huge pot of water for spaghetti, it's sometimes a good idea to vent outside. On days when it's warm, but not too hot to turn on the AC, why fill the room with steam?

Hmmm... You vent your gas water heater. You vent your gas furnace. You vent your gas clothes dryer.
Why don't you think your gas stove needs an exhaust hood properly vented to the outside?
Just as a summary. It depends on local codes. Businesses always have codes for venting ranges but households are left up to local codes and are not grandfathered in to newer codes.

without a good quality (you will feel like you are in an industrial area with the fan noise from a cheepo unit) vented hood. We prepare meals and like food that is cooked so often you will get a little smoke or odor. A non vented hood or no hood at all won't work in that situation. Since burning gas does deplete oxygen the consideration may be to pull in air because of the negative fan pressure.
In our jurisdiction, Ontario Canada, having a range hood installed over a cooktop or over any location intended for a range (i.e.: space for one with either a 40A/240V electric outlet or a regular outlet and gas line) is a requirement in new construction before the occupancy permit can be issued.
Of course, in talkinig to the property assessment people about getting our assessment adjustment date to co-incide with the date our occupancy permit was issued, I was told the date really didn't matter as there are often homes lived in where no occupancy permit has ever been issued!
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Sometimes people don't have the option to have a vented hood. Some friends bought a co-op apartment and there's a limit as to what can be done. Vented hoods are not allowed so they had to get a recirculating one.
They have a doorman, I have a vented hood. I win :>