Are pretty claw hammers better?

Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?
Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to imitate better ones?
Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?
There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them. That's just a style, right?
I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V between the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.
A hammer is about as personal a tool as you can get. more so than a saw or drill. a hammer speaks to who you are and how you work.
no one hammer is better than the other.
I like a light hammer, others prefer heavy weighted hammers. I like a wood handle, others prefer composite or steel.
different styles for different uses.
personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing straight... but that's just me.
Dave

Zephyr wrote:

There are differences in quality and there are different types depending on use and personal preference. No one really should use the cheap ones.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I would never buy a hammer big enough to hit my thumb.

You use a framing hammer for framing, a finish hammer for finish work, and a tack hammer for light work.
The shape and materials of the head, claw, handle, and grip affect things like moment arm, shock transmission, weight distribution, grip, slipperyness, twisting, and recoil.

Exactly The good hammer just feels good in your hand. What I like may be much different than your choice. Just avoid cheap.

Dave-
straight... but that's just me. <<<<<
I used to think that, as well........about 30 years ago. :)
Back then I used a 20oz smooth face & could drive any nail straight in...but as I got older & stronger I swtiched to a 28 oz milled face. (never could handle the 32oz, just too heavy for me)
With that 28oz, I could drive nails at any angle with my eyes closed :)....milled faced hammers are amazingly forgiving.
My 28oz phase didn't last very long...too tiring. I backed off to a 24oz milled hammer then later switched to a rigger's hatchet....just love the feel & balance, still use one after switching 15 years ago.
Now it makes my arm & shoulder hurt some but I still prefer it to a Vaughan framer or a Vaughan Cal framer. IMO the shape of the head effects how the hammer swings...who knows, maybe it's like bat shape?
cheers Bob

My grandmother from the old country used to beat the piss outta steaks on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking. Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

My grandmother did that with rump roast. Never had a pot roast equal or better since she died.

Well, thanks to everyone.
I'll have to wait until I'm using the hammer(s) and think about all this.
And also when I'm cooking.

Never had a rump roast done up that way. Hmmmm...maybe I should pick one up, go to where they're builing a bridge and slip it under the pile driver for a few rounds. Still won't be as good as you grandmother's though Edwin.

Hmm......wondering what the oz's of the hammer vs. oz's of the steak was :-) Maybe this is my problem of not being able to cook a damn thing.
Dean

If you can make Sloppy Joe, you'll survive.