are microwave waves dangerous

I know that the magnetron works using radio waves that are converted and other tech issues. I have recently replaced a panasonic microwave, a few months ago, with an identical one. This one always seemed to get hotter on the outside then the old one. We used to keep bread and even fruit on pottery on the top, and it would always stay cool. The new one gets very, very warm, and almost cooks the bread after a while. I brought it in for servicing three times, and they tell me nothing is wrong with it, yet you can feel warm air coming out from around the door area. Panasonic wont do anything about it, and the retailer wont take it back. QUESTION Even though they said they tested for microwave leakage, and said there was none, I am not fully convinced. If there is some leakage of rays, are they harmful, if you are in the kitchen, when it is on? Should I dump the thing? It is a nice stainless steel model, (biggest size they have-).
Thanks to all
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

microwaves have fans and vents to remove the hot and steamy air from the inside. a steel shell, not having any water molecules in it, won't heat up from microwaves, so it's not being heated by the microwaves, but instead by the vent. your old one had a vent in a different place.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is also common for the interior lamp to heat up the outside of the case while operating. Try removing the light and see if the heating is reduced. Other sources of heat from the electronics may be coupling to the case as well. It dosen't sound like it is microwaves heating the stuff on top, just waste heat from the microwave or food within.
If this model dosen't fit your lifestyle, get another and donate that one to charity for a tax writeoff. I'm sure there is some hurricane displaced family living in a shelter near you who could use it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So waste more money and buy your own microwave detector:
<http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/id.6/subid.189/qx/default.htm
Seems more likely this oven just vents itself differently than your old one. Move the stuff on top to another location. Store stuff that won't get 'cooked' on there instead.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
: I know that the magnetron works using radio waves that are :converted and other tech issues. : I have recently replaced a panasonic microwave, a few months ago, :with an identical one. : This one always seemed to get hotter on the outside then the old :one. We used to keep bread and even fruit on pottery on the top, and it :would always stay cool. The new one gets very, very warm, and almost cooks :the bread after a while. : I brought it in for servicing three times, and they tell me :nothing is wrong with it, yet you can feel warm air coming out from around :the door area. : Panasonic wont do anything about it, and the retailer wont take it :back. : QUESTION : Even though they said they tested for microwave leakage, :and said there was none, I am not fully convinced. If there is some leakage :of rays, are they harmful, if you are in the kitchen, when it is on? Should :I dump the thing? It is a nice stainless steel model, (biggest size they :have-). : : Thanks to all Even if it's not leaking microwaves it is emminating magnetic energy. That stuff isn't the threat that microwaves are but they aren't doing you any good. Either dissipates in proportion to the inverse square of your distance from the unit:
1/distance x distance
So, you should try to make a habit of not standing right next to your oven when it's on. Stand at least 4 feet away and you will be safer. That's what I do most of the time, just to be on the safe side. I think that since you've been told more than once that they tested for leaking microwaves, you are probably OK on that score. Do you think these people are liars or do you have a sense that they are being honest with you? I'm sure that not everyone has microwave energy detection equipment.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Do you want to revise that equation or is that your final answer...?
R
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
: :Dan_Musicant wrote: :> :> Even if it's not leaking microwaves it is emminating magnetic energy. :> That stuff isn't the threat that microwaves are but they aren't doing :> you any good. Either dissipates in proportion to the inverse square of :> your distance from the unit::> :> 1/distance x distance: :Do you want to revise that equation or is that your final answer...? : :R That shows the inverse square relation. You'd have to multiply that by some factor to give you the actual amount of radiation. It depends on the oven. I've found in general that microwave ovens have around 4 miligaus EMF at a distance of maybe 1.5 feet from the oven - in that neighborhood.
Dan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan_Musicant wrote:

I think RJ was in pedant mode...normal algebraic association would interpret the form as typed as (1/x) * x ==> 1 rather than your intended 1/(x*x)....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Go down to your local Radio Shack and buy a 120v neon pilot bulb. Pass it around the microwave unit, especially the door. Microwave leakage will light the bulb. (If you don't believe it, put it in the microwave and turn it on).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J.Lef wrote:

No need to dump it. Use one of these when operating the microwave:
http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tinfoilhead8po.jpg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.