Are Leaf Rakes Illegal???

Page 3 of 5
Here to there wrote:

Most of that 4" is airspace between the leaves. Mulch them and they'll be reduced to confetti size.

Uh, no. That's 4 inches of relatively tightly packed, wet leaves. Not to mention that, not being affixed by their roots to the ground, the mower tends to just push them to the side, rather than riding over them.
I'm not saying that mulching them up isn't a fine idea when appropriate - that's what I do in my front yard, where I only have a couple of maples, and there's only an inch or so on the ground. But short of having a mower with 5 inches of ground clearance, mowing and mulching simply isn't an option.
- Rich
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:28:11 GMT, Here to there

You must have funny trees. They dump 5" of leaves at a time.!
Where I live, the leaves sail gently to the ground...then the next one...then the next one. lol
Have a nice one...
Trent

You must have funny trees, if they don't. :-)
I walked out into my yard this morning, and my feet sank in to just over the top of my foot. And this is just 5 days after having raked up tons in the same area, mind you.

Where I live, they all generally come down in a couple of brief, but intense sessions. High winds last weekend, and rain today.
And yet there's still a couple of huge silver maples that haven't dropped any, yet.... sigh.
- Rich
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:37:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote:

I would have thought this the most logical thing to do. Feed the raked leaves into a mulcher. The shredded product will be a lot easier to bag or to spread. Come to think of it garden tool manufafturers should invent either a lawn mower attachment effective for sucking up and shredding the leaves then throw them into a bag via a chute. Or otherwise make a dedicated machine for this. It will be a welcome companion to the leaf blower.
(Curly

I haven't studied it closely, but my new Honda mower's instruction book has a chart of different blades you can install if your work tends more toward one purpose than another, or if you want to make seasonal blade changes.

They do. Cub Cadet, for example, makes a gas powered wheeled vacuum unit that sucks up leaves, shreds and then bags 'em. A mere $1300CDN.
Rented one once. Real nice. Big trick is to make sure that the leaves are _dry_.
Came very close to buying one. I'd continue to rent, but they're relatively rare in rentals, and it's a PITA getting it in and out of the trailer.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
if you build it, they will come.

Doug Kanter wrote:

I spent a couple of hours using a rake today. Big green plastic thing. I rake mainly to get the leaves away from fences and other structures so I could then mulch them with a garden tractor, then use the tractor to sweep them up so I could throw them into the compost heap. There are still some trees with leaves hanging on for dear life, so I may have to do it again before winter sets in.
Your worried about leaves? Wait till it snows. Glad I left Rochester 20 years ago.

I followed a woman here to get married. Left Long Island, which had advantages and disadvantages. I don't miss the traffic, or the fact that women there put on 12 pounds of makeup just to run to the grocery store for a gallon of milk. But the beach....at least there was the beach.

bags
take
and
that was the ONLY thing i missed when i moved inland. the beach...
randy

Agreed. I stupidly punished myself by not exploring water for about 3 years after I moved. The Finger Lakes and the Adirondack lakes are gorgeous, but there's still nothing like a real beach, especially after Labor Day, when the lawyers and fashion queens have vacated.

the
noise!
heads
You really need to come down to a North Carolina beach for a vacation. I hate the beach but even so I have to admit it is beautiful here (though boring and I hate the sun). Incredibly uncrowded unless you go to a tourist trap. Fly down to Raleigh and it is a 2 hour drive to the beach. The airfares are cheap. You will never miss a Long Island beach again if you visit a NC beach. The sand is so fine and clean it just slips off of you. Nothing like the grit of Jones Beach. And no beach pits.

I was in Duck (Outer Banks) a few years back. Friends who know me said "Do ***NOT*** drive south after you unpack your bags. If you must go anywhere, go North". Good advice. Nice & quiet.

in
I grew up on Long Island.... Massapequa Park. Went to college in Rochester and escaped the northeast in 1980. Between Long Island and Rochester, you made a home run. At least Rochester is prepared for all but the worse snow storms. Someday Long Island will be swamped by a hurricane.

Doug Kanter wrote:

Here in California they really should drop the "leaf" part, and just call them blowers. Just as common to see them making a cloud of dust in a parking lot as it is to see them blowing leaves. Terrific for people with allergies and asthma.

bags
use
take
Want
and
I had a neighbor who, after washing his GMC pickup, would come outside every hour or two and use a leaf blower to eliminate any dust that had settled on the truck. What a piece of work HE was. :-) My son figured out his phobias at age 10. He and a couple of friends figured out that in the summer, when Mr Pickup's windows were open, it was fun to yell to each other "Hey! Anyone wanna play frisbee?", and watch the neighbor run out and move his truck halfway down the street. We didn't even OWN a frisbee.
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:54:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

You can also use a leaf blower to dry off yer car after yer done washing it.
Have a nice one...
Trent

Would that be Southern CA.? If thats the case they use them cause they don't want to scratch the ground.