Are Leaf Rakes Illegal???

Page 1 of 5
Rochester NY: We're being buried in leaves. My son and I raked up 40+ bags of leaves in about 2 hours this past Sunday. We seem to be alone in the use of that prehistoric tool, the rake. I'm surrounded by neighbors in their early 30s to mid 40s, in good shape, all of whom use leaf blowers and take all day to gather the same amount of leaves. And...cripes....the noise! Want an investment tip? Hearing aids - the Next Big Thing for an entire generation.
What's with these things? Is Home Depot putting guns to peoples' heads and forcing them to buy leaf blowers?
<End of Totally Pointless Rant>

Rochester NY: OK, Penfield. Close enough.
I spent about 3 hours with the leaf blower on Saturday. No idea how many bags worth, since we put them all in a compost pile on the back of the property this year, though in previous years we never had any fewer than 60 or so bags.
Personally, I don't see why some people have such an issue with leaf blowers. Sure, they're noisy. So are cars, lawnmowers, 390/490/590, electric hedge trimmers, etc. My arms sure as heck feel a LOT better after using the blower for a few hours than they do after using a rake for even half as long. And using a rake in years past took me the better part of the weekend to get those 60 bags filled.
Summation: I wish I had gotten a leaf blower YEARS ago.
- Rich
Here to there wrote:

Personally, I don't see why some people have such an issue with leaves.

bags
use
take
Want
and
They look good.....until they get matted down and turn the lawn into sauce. Before we raked, I had leaves a foot deep on most of my lawn. Realtors should remind buyers to check the prevailing winds before signing the purchase offer. :-)

bags
use
take
Want
and
Me neither....
No big deal here......just blow em into the neighbor's yard.......
--
SVL

Or better yet, cut the lawn short enough in the fall, and let the wind blow them into the neighbor's yard for you!

Because when you have 4+ inches of leaves on your lawn, if you don't take them up, you will have nothing but dirt left by next Spring. And having your topsoil wash away in the Spring rains is just no fun at all.
- Rich
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:54:02 GMT, Here to there

Can you explain this? I don't understand what yer gettin' at.
I don't rake my leaves...and I don't have dirt in the Spring.
Nor do I see a lot of 'just dirt' in the forests.
Have a nice one...
Trent

In the forests, you see progressive layers of composted leaves, which is why, is some places, you'll sink up to your ankles when you step in it. It's great stuff. But, grass won't grow there to any great extent.
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:21:54 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Yer correct. Most forests have an accumulation of generations of leaves.
The best way to protect your lawn is to leave the leaves as they fall...for protection against a harsh, cold Winter...then mow/mulch them in the Spring.
Have a nice one...
Trent

Then you either don't have a lot of leaves fall, or are blessed with winds that blow them all away. I had one area in my lawn last weekend where I waded in up to my shins. I guarantee there won't be any grass under there in the Spring if I let it alone.

Uh, walked in any forests recently? The vast majority of what you're walking on is decomposed leaves. Depending on where you live, there may be lots of ferns, etc, but I can pretty much guarantee that you're not going to find any significant grasses underfoot.
- Rich
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:14:59 GMT, Here to there

Why would you think that?
Have a nice one...
Trent

leaves.
Let's put it this way: If you allow enough leaves to mat down, it's a great way to start a new garden area.

bags
use
take
Want
and
Those lucky leaves, I wish I were a leaf so I could get blown.
I was in Brighton the other day, and saw a man with a leaf rake. I was so tempted to call 911.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

the
their
noise!

I was just outside doing some raking myself. I thought I heard the Jaws Theme playing.

bags
use
take
Want
and
Maybe there's a trick to using the blower to get the leaves into the bags? Something my neighbors haven't discovered? All they seem to use them for is creating the initial pile.
Trick is to use the blower to blow them onto a tarp and move them where you want to.

<snip>

Blowing leaves into bags is kinda like shoveling proverbial s**t against the tide. It's all a matter of efficient use of tools, anyhow. Rakes are much better than blowers at getting sticks and such. Blowers are much better at quick passes over areas to keep leaves from accumulating to the point where they're likely to become a matted blanket from a shower or ground moisture. Not to mention that they can be much gentler on the grass.
IOW, the "correct" answer is "all of the above" at the opportune time. And, for me, to compost them all in one part of my front lawn each year- in hopes of being able to amend the crappy rocky subsoil that nature left there.
John