Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk?

Page 1 of 2
I've been experiencing some symptoms of low level carbon monoxide exposure. I have an 10 year old oil-filled radiator heater under my computer desk. I sit at this desk eight hours a day. I've read that electric oil-filled heaters aren't a carbon monoxide risk, but I wonder if this is always true?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Nope.

Ok..hows this...
No aitn happening check for spending too much time in front of a monitor and under those neat little long tubes that give off light...:)

Carbon monoxide is the end result of any unburned fossil fuel like gas, oil, coal, wood. No risk from your electric heater.

To generate carbon monoxide something has to burn. Unless the heater has shorted out and caught on fire you are safe.
The heater will not make carbon monoxide.

Only if the oil gets ignited and it burns.
Which the unit is designed to prevent. Also,you might notice if it did ignite the oil. Carbon monoxide is formed by incomplete combustion.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Nope,
Sounds like my old neighbour. He has carbon monoxide detectors all over
the house. House is all electric. Somehow industry convinced him he needed those....

For you and CBHVAC, one could take "Nope" to be in answer to "I wonder if this is alway's true?", that heaters aren't a CO risk. That was the only question he asked. That's why I asked what he meant. You make clear below that the Nope applies to another question, that actually wasn't asked.

LOL The local newsoccasionally tends to do that too.

And I'll bet those are UL2039 detectors. They won't alarm until the CO levels are life threatening.
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:08:14 -0500, "HeatMan"

How about getting a CO detector with a display? Those are supposed to show lower levels.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Still crap...seriously.

It's not possible. You would see and smell smoke from the burning oil. Start looking at other sources. Check the EPA web site. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/

Low level carbon monoxide exposure, you have symptoms, get a blood test. Electric heater, well if its on fire leaking oil then it will put out Co. But I think it would be obvious. Learn what produces Co, A bad car exuast, building heat, house heating can output Co. Even cigarettes.
http://zapatopi.net/afdb /
Here is a web site that might help you.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:53:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Yes, I think that's the brand I have, and it worked when it needed to. Woke me up one night, making a big racket in my bedroom.. I had a headache, and opened the windows, then went downstairs to turn off the furnace. Later I learned the flue was almost clogged.
This one plugs in and shows some moving red segments with LEDs, and when the level gets over a certain point, it reports the level.
Apparently at the level I had, other urls say it would take 2 full days or was it 3 to kill me. But if I was too groggy to wake up the next day (not sure if the light and some sleeping woudl have let me wake up or not.) it would have had 3 days to do it's job.

Rule of thumb in any liability issue: Dead people dont sue.
And yes Mark, they suck. They are NOT what the average person thinks they are. They are NOT a sure fire way to measure anything...and, does anyone know that after 5 years you are supposed to toss them? Who, honestly, has replaced a unit that is more than 5 years old? Who really knows how long its been there unless you just put it up? ITs why some of us install units that not only know, they make sure YOU know. The public wants cheap, so First Alert and others give you cheap. Just dont bet your life on it. Something is better than nothing, but personally, I would not have one of those POS things in my home. And the new combo smoke/CO detectors? Jokes.
So CB., Co detectors that are UL approved and independantly tested accurate, or better yet working, by many groups, one nationaly known, who even compares them, Consumer Reports are wrong. No I don`t believe it. There are deaths of course but 100x more people are made sick. Funny how nobody in the media has made this a public issue yet. for if they were as bad as you believe it would be headline news. Probably the most independantly tested device made is your hardware store Co detector. For true accuracy , yes I believe you, as few even simple thermometers and no cheap analog hygrometers have I ever ever seen as 100 correct. But to do their job and register, record, levels that are higher than Zero , I see them as working to inform of possible danger, there fore they work. I would not expect a pro to walk into my house with a first alert home wall unit, yes Id laugh and throw him out. They just are not designed for the abuse of what a pro puts them through.