Are BOX fans dangerous????

Page 5 of 5

I was on the local fire department for 10 years and none of the fires we had during my time were caused by box fans. But I have heard of it happening just as with clothes dryers and Christmas tree lights.
Was that the box fan kicked over by Mrs. O'Leary's cow?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nope, but I heard that Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked the bucket.

You should have asked him about the other 1000 causes of fires.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:27:54 -0700, ransley wrote:

Like clothes dryers, toaster ovens, kitchen stoves..etc..all major causes of home fires. Should you not have any of those items either?

http://exactproductsinc.com/WordPress/?cat=2
I don't see why people are supporting the position "box fans don't / can't / haven't caused house fires". I've had some get very close to that point.
They are cheap electrical devices often neglected and run for hours unattended. I've abused a fair number of these units; old metal ones & newer cheap plastic units.
Several units have just stopped working & been brought back to life by dropping them on their faces. Clean them? Why bother... as long as they run, run 'em 'til they stop.
One overheated & all the internal smoke leaked out but no flames. :)
Reported cases of 42 serious malfunctions. How many unreported? 10x? 100x? even at that rate they don't seem all that dangerous.
But knowing that they "could be a problem", let's us be a bit more careful with how they are used (if we choose) My "work around" is to only use new units unattended and never leave the "beaters" running alone.
I wondered how many of the "failed" units were abused or misused?
I more amazed that they don't cause problems way more often considering the way see them used / mis-used.
cheers Bob
[...]
I had one burn up in my bedroom window one night. When the wind is right I think they can be overloaded causing them to fail.

I don't see why people are too stupid to turn off a box fan when they leave the house.
It occurs to me that perhaps the people who leave them on and abuse them are the ones suffering all the fires and other problems.
Gotta be smarter than the tool.
nb

You should have asked why.
Only when the fan is running and you stick your face into the blades.

My experience FWIW with box fans: we have many (dozens) in our facility (inadequate AC) and all are Chinese. Many have gummed-up over the years and they will sit and either start going after they have heated the lube or just hum. I haven't had one smoke or over- heat. Bath room exhaust fans seize and over-heat. Many of these box fans are very low HP and can be stopped (jammed) and not over-heat.

Now, now. Don't ruin a good 'theory' with facts.
Harry K
On Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 1:52:23 PM UTC-4, jimmy wrote:

ok lets start off by saying that newer box fans are cheeply made, but the answer to your question is no there is one model of lasko box fan that was recalled but if you dont have that model you should be fine.
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 2:05:54 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

OLD thread. Question was posted on August 08, 2010.
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:25:00 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

They were death traps in 2010 but they are fine now. They just blow the thermal fuse now and you throw them away.