Are BOX fans dangerous????

DUH!!

You run any mechanical/electrical device to death with no care or maintenance and it's bound to die a painful/flaming death.

Am I missing something, here, or are a whole buncha complete morons claiming to be blatantly negligent and then saying, "I told you so"?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Do yo~ h@v# som# !ns@n# not!on th@t r#pl@c!ng th# vow#ls w!th p~nct~@t!on m@k#s @ny f~ck!ng d!ff#r#nc#?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window fans. Using them as such is a misuse.

Reply to
clare

Do you really give a fsck?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Fuck yes.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I'm happy for you.

nb

Reply to
notbob

That's interesting. It's all portable fans, including those designed as window fans.

Several cases seem to remain mysteries. There's soot but no other evidence of overheating. There's evidence of overheating, but the motor turns freely.

Fans are supposed to be protected from overheating in the event of a locked rotor, and the ones tested have worked.

Cords are often the problem. Some people I know will continue to use a cord when there's a warm spot.

It looks as if most problems would be minor of there were an adult present to smell trouble and unplug the fan.

Reply to
J Burns

Says who?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yep, I use it all summer long. Turn on the furnace fan and let it run keeps the AC from kicking in for hours. Much more effective than my ceiling fan. Then the 20" box fan blowing down the hall sucks in the evening cool air.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Move to FL and see how that works for ya.

Reply to
Ron

So you ignore the part that works for me and you think you made a point? FWIW I spent years in Texas and a couple of summers in the humid, hot DC area. Box fans were a survival tool at night.

Glad to hear that you are convinced that overhead fans are the only thing that is useable.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Time we eliminate _everything_ that has caused a few deaths in the house it will be nothing but a bare concrete slab...oops can't use that either. people have died pouring it.

There is paranoia and then there is outright idiocy - case in point 'box fan'

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

They make window fans for that purpose. Box fans are air movers meant to sit on the floor.

Reply to
clare

ter who told me

Ceiling fans are what *I* prefer along with central AC. Box fans are

*loud*, unattractive, inconvenient and only blow to centralized spot. So whatever works for ya.
Reply to
Ron

wrote

What happens to them if you sit them on a window sill? I've seen many used like that; I'd guess millions nationwide are in windows. I've never seen a caution about not using them in a window.

However, I did find this on Lasko's web site:

Can I use my Box Fan in a window? Most box fans are not designed for use in a window

Note the word "most" as opposed to using the word "no".

And the don't give any specifics here What is a Window Fan? A fan mounted in a window to circulate the air. Window fans are used for air intake, air exhaust, or air exchange. The blade size ranges from 8" to 16"

Then, you have this that tells you how to use a box fan in the window.

fans in windows. Close the window as tightly as possible around the fan to hold it in place and prevent local circulation

Of course, this box fan is designed for use in windows

Evidently, geeks don't know everything, even wise ones
homeowners also choose to place a box fan in an open window, similar to an air conditioning unit. If the home owner places the box fan in the window so the front faces outdoors, the box fan will draw warm air out from inside the home. If the homeowner places the box fan with the front facing inside, the fan with draw in air from outside..

You can even rent one for $3 a day

And some people just love them in the window
feature my Lasko 20? box fan has is its compact design. It fits very well in my window. I can use it to bring in the cooler air from the outside. This works remarkably well. This is known as an economical in-window air conditioner. Another nice thing about its size is the fact that it is not cumbersome to carry out of the store. It fits into my trunk perfectly, also.

My Lasko 20? box fan is also lightweight. Considering its size, I found that very surprising. It also is very welcomed.

Seems like you have a big job ahead convincing people to take the box fans out of the window.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

uster who told me

s...do you have

Depends on how the box fan is positioned. Mine hangs from the hallway ceiling and blows down a hallway towards an open window. Much more effective to 'exhaust' air than to 'input' it...or sumpin like that. My technique on warm day is

Turn on furnace fan. If the AC kicks on and is sufficient that is it. If still uncomfortable in big room, turn on overhead fan.

Ending with:

When outside temp drops to comfortable level, open window and turn on box fan. Most times it never gets to the box fan except for short periods.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

se in

p://

Now, now. Don't ruin a good 'theory' with facts.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Only when the fan is running and you stick your face into the blades.

Reply to
Joe Carthy

Insurance people only know how to operate one tool. A PEN. They are also good at grabbing money and very poor at handing out money. I believe insurance people about as much as I'd believe my paper boy telling me that I have an incurable disease, because he read about it in the paper.

On the other hand, I know that ANY small motor can overheat and could cause a fire. Thus this is the reason that any decent motor should have a thermal protection device, and I tend to avoid ALL China made products. But what are we going to do. Should we stop using all products that contain motors? Or maybe stop using electricity entirely.

Your insurance guy is an IDIOT. He knows nothing, except how to get into your wallet. ANY fan with a motor can catch on fire, ANY power tool with a motor can catch on fire, any computer monitor or tv set can catch on fire. A standard lightbulb in a trouble light set against a piece of paper or cardboard can start a fire (I know this one, because I set a trouble light with 100w bulb on a nail box, and the box started on fire) (yea, I made it out, and dont set lights against flamables any more).

There are hundreds of other household items that can start fires. So, shut off your electrical service now.

OR

Buy quality made products. Forget the Harbor Freight garbage, forget the cheap china made fans at Walmart. Buy american made items and be sure they contain thermal protection.

Reply to
jw

My box fan has been running around the clock for nearly 3 months now. It only gets shut off when I leave for a weekend, or during rain storms when I need to shut the window. Otherwise it sucks air thru the house 24/7. I cant afford the electricity to run a window Air Conditioner. Box fans use little energy compared to an AC.

Reply to
jw