Are BOX fans dangerous????

Page 1 of 5

I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info regarding this??

Any cheap motor that's left running for long periods of time, with loads of household dust blowing over it, and isn't cleaned periodically, is a candidate for over-heating and starting a fire.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 13:52:23 -0400, jimmy wrote:

Most of these motors have thermal protection. But I suppose that can fail.
I've seen box fans dry out, and run slowly. But, I'm not familiar with any thermal protection.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

He's a lying sack of sh*t!
I've used 20" box fans for 40 yrs. Old, new, plastic, or metal, they do what they are designed for. I'd recommend a 20" Lasko, the model with the extra knob for temp (thermostat ...honest!). Last one I bought was $20 as Lowe's.
The only prob I ever experienced was wind. Sometimes a late night/early morning wind would come up and knock the fan out of the window sill. Being and incredibly lazy ass, I'd drop the venetian blinds jes far enough to hit the top back edge of the fan and give it a little resistance from falling. Any good anchoring system will prevent any probs.
nb

So, you believe that your personal experience - one person's experience - outweighs a conversation with an insurance adjuster? Hmm. This wasn't some salesperson selling something - looking to gain something from a lie. How often do people call you first when their house catches on fire? Sheesh.
See Ed Pawlowski's response about the fan recall. It's rather ironic that the fan brand you recommend is the one in the that report that the CPSC recalled. All of these cheap fans are made in China, and we all know how reliable and trustworthy the Chinese are...at least they can be relied on to dump their excess lead into our dinner ware. Do you really think that you're getting a quality product, shipped from overseas, for $20?
In future, maybe you shouldn't start name calling when you have nothing really to base it on. Thanks.
On 8/8/2010 12:12 PM RicodJour spake thus:

All I can say is that my own experience exactly mirrors that of "notbob". I've used cheap box fans to ventilate places for a couple decades now too. Last place I was in I had two of them semi-permanently installed under a skylight to exhaust hot air. Ran continuously for hours with nary a problem, in a very dusty environment.
Hell, one of the fans' front plastic grille completely disintegrated from exposure to sunlight--just flaked into a jillion little pieces--and the fan kept on just humming away.
My dad used to install window fans in the attic of our house as a whole-house ventilation system in the summer. The fans he used were a little better than the cheap Laskos one buys nowadays; I seem to remember they were made by Bernz, but basically the same type of fan, run by a fairly cheap induction motor. They lasted many seasons and never failed.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:12:24 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Insurance people only know how to operate one tool. A PEN. They are also good at grabbing money and very poor at handing out money. I believe insurance people about as much as I'd believe my paper boy telling me that I have an incurable disease, because he read about it in the paper.
On the other hand, I know that ANY small motor can overheat and could cause a fire. Thus this is the reason that any decent motor should have a thermal protection device, and I tend to avoid ALL China made products. But what are we going to do. Should we stop using all products that contain motors? Or maybe stop using electricity entirely.
Your insurance guy is an IDIOT. He knows nothing, except how to get into your wallet. ANY fan with a motor can catch on fire, ANY power tool with a motor can catch on fire, any computer monitor or tv set can catch on fire. A standard lightbulb in a trouble light set against a piece of paper or cardboard can start a fire (I know this one, because I set a trouble light with 100w bulb on a nail box, and the box started on fire) (yea, I made it out, and dont set lights against flamables any more).
There are hundreds of other household items that can start fires. So, shut off your electrical service now.
OR
Buy quality made products. Forget the Harbor Freight garbage, forget the cheap china made fans at Walmart. Buy american made items and be sure they contain thermal protection.

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at the grocery store.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 16:56:18 -0700, Ron wrote:

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.
Harry K

Ever heard of wind chill?

Yep, I use it all summer long. Turn on the furnace fan and let it run keeps the AC from kicking in for hours. Much more effective than my ceiling fan. Then the 20" box fan blowing down the hall sucks in the evening cool air.
Harry K

Move to FL and see how that works for ya.

So you ignore the part that works for me and you think you made a point? FWIW I spent years in Texas and a couple of summers in the humid, hot DC area. Box fans were a survival tool at night.
Glad to hear that you are convinced that overhead fans are the only thing that is useable.
Harry K

Ceiling fans are what *I* prefer along with central AC. Box fans are *loud*, unattractive, inconvenient and only blow to centralized spot. So whatever works for ya.

Depends on how the box fan is positioned. Mine hangs from the hallway ceiling and blows down a hallway towards an open window. Much more effective to 'exhaust' air than to 'input' it...or sumpin like that. My technique on warm day is
Turn on furnace fan. If the AC kicks on and is sufficient that is it. If still uncomfortable in big room, turn on overhead fan.
Ending with:
When outside temp drops to comfortable level, open window and turn on box fan. Most times it never gets to the box fan except for short periods.
Harry K
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:39:11 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

But they contain motors too, and could catch on fire. It would be much safer to place some mice in a squirrel cage and connect a fan blade to it.
On Aug 10, 11:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

But...but...but...aren't mice a source of dusease? Looks like the only solution is to crawl into a cave naked and never come out.
Harry K