Anyone heard of polished porcelain countertops in the kitchen?

I went to a store and they said I could put polished porcelain on my countertops. What they had modeled looked nice, but I haven't ever seen polished porcelain on countertops anywhere else. I like tile and they showed me this. It sure was cheaper than granite. Has anyone ever seen this in the kitchen before? Thanks.
jm wrote:

yeah, we've set a few. mostly used for floors, however if set with a very small joint it has it's place on tops too. makes for an excellent combination as a backsplash with a granite top.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have a porcelain sink. It is subject to chipping and scratching and is not really repairable as it happens. I would not want it for a counter top.
Bob

Sorry, misunderstood his post where he said "I like tile and they showed me this." I though that meant "they showed me this (instead of tile) not "they showed me this porcelain tile". Porcelain tile is certainly different that plated porcelain.
Bob
'nuther Bob wrote:

Reminds me of one my first houses.. It had a porcelain/steel, comination kitchen sink cabinet unit.
jm wrote:

It will look fine. As others suggested, use a small joint between the pieces. I've seen counter tops with polished porcelain that looked to be 8 inches square. It looked very good imho.

ton
what
Sorry, what does "8 inches square" mean? Just that they tile was 8x8? The ones I saw were 12x12.
jm wrote:

Yes, 8x8.
On 16 Aug 2003 18:17:55 -0700, john_20_28 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jm) wrote:

    The first thing I would want to know would be how to fix it when it breaks or chips. This will happen.

peter wrote:

It is tile. If you chip or break one you replace it. Here's some information about Porcelain tile vs. regular ceramic.
http://www.classicceramictile.com/default.asp?LINKNAME=PORCELAINTILE