Anyone have a good idea for this??

Anyone have a good way to disolve parkay flooring glue. It seems like a long job scraping all of it, needs some tips.
On 20 Feb 2004 02:34:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wmconnect.com (Barry) wrote:

You glued your floor down with margarine?
Barry
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050100090308040208090301 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
B a r r y wrote:

Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Floor sander
<< Floor sander >>
Doesn't work. Glue softens and clogs belts. 3M has some adhesive remover that does the job, takes long (hours) contact time but surprisingly good clean up. You may have to try their web site for product number and supplier. Probably others in NG have more info. Good luck.
Joe
there is a product called "contractor solvent or De-solve it" same product, just a bunch of names on the label. Works great for desolving any type of glue that I have found. the local true value has it near me
heat? blow dryer or blow-torch?
I am not a professional and I don't give professional advice. use either of these methods at your own risk.
mikey.
Barry wrote:

Had a similar problem taking up an old carpet which had been glued down. I used my angle grinder with a wire brush attachment. The first session raised immense amounts of dust. I solved that by dampening the surface. It worked fine. Be sure your tool is grounded and don't use very much water...just enough of a light spray to hold down the dust. As always with a high power tool like his, wear safety glasses. It worked great. Doing it by hand would have taken hours. This way it was a matter of minutes.

I used paint thinner and a rag. worked great for me . took the green glue off fast

:I used paint thinner and a rag. worked great for me . took the green glue :off fast
Paint thinner is one of my favorite solvents, after water, of course. It's not particularly dangerous to inhale and it's cheap and it works with surprisingly many cleanup problems. Another favorite is acetone. Again, it's not dangerous to inhale. It's more expensive and you have to be careful because it can damage a lot of plastics. Some of the other solvents out there, especially methyl ethyl ketone, lacquer thinner, contact cement thinner, etc. etc. are very dangerous to inhale, or so the labels say, and I figure I better believe the labels.
Sounds to me like the grinder idea may be the best - if it works for you.