Anyone familiar with code for Glenville, NY (Schenectady County)?

Is it allowed to install a gas furnace in a closet such that there is no return installed? The door is louvered, so the furnace sucks the air from inside the closet that comes through the vents in the door.

I ask because a joint in the PVC exhaust (it's the warmer of the two PVC tubes (3"? in diameter)) has no glue, is leaking water, and easily pulls apart.

Strangely, I turned on the heat for a short period with my CO detector there and pulled the tube apart and it didn't go off...does that mean the detector is bad? The exhaust does have CO in it, doesn't it?

No return would mean the exhaust gets distributed throughout the apartment...

tia, Rick

Reply to
Rich Weed

DUDE!!!!! Get a licensed heating and air tech to look at it before you kill yourself!

Reply to
Nate Certified Heating And Air

How did you get gas hookup in Glenville???? There are no gas lines here. Why don't you call the building department and ask about the regs?

Propane, maybe?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"h" wrote in news:gb5hj7$phe$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

There is gas for the furnace (National Grid). Glenville building dept? k i'll try them.

Reply to
Auto Body

Joe wrote in news:fbe564b2-fe84-46e0-9f97-9a94170ba6a2 @d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

No, it's National Grid...it's on their bill anyway. I live in a new apartment complex.

Reply to
Auto Body

Really? Not in my part of Glenville. A few years ago they sent around a questionnaire to see how many people wanted gas and what we were willing to pay to have the lines installed. Apparently, less than 10 people were willing to pay more than $0 to have the lines installed, so they scrapped the idea. I'm on a main road in a nearly 200 year old house, so it's not like I'm in a new development. I suspect those are the only places where new gas lines are being installed, at least around here. When we build an addition in 2010 we'll be installing a propane tank and change the stove top and fireplaces to gas, since we don't have gas via National Grid.

Just check with the building dept. They've been very helpful to me in the past for all sorts of code info and filing for variances, etc.