Anyone else with JennAir gas cooktop downdraft kitchen fires?

Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing constant countertop heat damage from the JennAir gas cooktop?
Constantly, the heat from the large JennAir burner has been burning countertop after countertop in the back of the cooktop.
Is there such a thing as a technical service bulletin for JennAir kitchen products. If so, where can I get them?
I'd LOVE to know if this is a KNOWN problem (a standard google search turned up nothing out of the ordinary).
A service technician (qualified by Jennair) provided a written report which said that it was an inherent design flaw that was causing the countertop to burn ... yet when I provided that report to Jennair, they said there are no reported problems of the kind I am running into.
Please ... DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM?
Alora Duncan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Please reply to the newsgroup as my email gets filled every day with spam!)
Alora Duncan wrote

I've never heard of such a case.

How large of pot are you using on it?

Service bulletins are only available through a subscription plan and only to authorized Jenn Air factory service depots.

As I said, I've never heard of such an occurrence caused by the range itself. It could possibly happen if using too large of pot or pan on the burner and heating for long periods of time.

Maybe get a second opinion from a different Jenn Air *authorized service depot* (see the following link). If they feel the same way and Jenn Air still does not agree, you may have to get lawyers involved. JMO
Jenn Air Parts, Service, Dealer Locator http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID#0
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Jenn-Air+cooktops
=~~~~~~
I wish I could get enough heat from our JennAir cook top to boil water.
RB
Alora Duncan wrote:

spam!)
Have you looked at the installation instructions? They should have some specification of material and separation in this area. It would seem to me that if this is a common problem it would be all over the net and Consumer Reports would be raising hell, not to mention the government consumer product safety adminstration.
del

RB wrote:

odd to hear. a friend has a JennAir gas cook top and each burner puts out different BTU's, as per the owner's manual, and they're plenty hot. Are all your burners the same? Maybe it's a low-end cook top? or you have gas/air adjustment problems?

I hear that complaint a lot on modern gas cooktop burners or all makes of ranges and it's even worse if the range has been converted to operate on propane as burner BTU output can be reduced by close to 20%!
Some gas range surface burners can be in the 12,000 to 15,000 BTU range in which case it is not too bad depending on what is being cooked on them. If the burners have a rating of less than 12,000, the user will likely run into that problem especially if cooking large 'vats' of water like for spaghetti, etc. The cookware used can also play a big role in how well they work.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=gas+ranges
=~~~~~~

I also hear the opposite complaint fairly often, that it is difficult (if not impossible) to summer on gas burners because their is not enough flame control on newer gas cooktop burners. One solution for that can be seen at the following link:
My brand new gas range will boil but will not simmer. Is there a problem and how can it be fixed? http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDF1
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=gas+ranges
=~~~~~~
I don't like ours, either. With the downdraft going and pulling heat off the burners, it's very hard to boil a large pot of water.
It's not bad with the downdraft off, but of course, you can't use the grill without the downdraft.

All true. That's why an electric cooktop with a downdraft works much better.
Wayne

spam!)
what is your countertop material?
there also should be 2 layers of heat reflective tape around the perimeter of the cooktop opening (cut-out).
downdraft units defy gravity.................pretty useless.
Alora Duncan wrote:

Until our kitchen was recently renovated, our JennAir slide in unit (really the same as the cooktop) was set tight against a Formica counter and we never saw any problems. That may be for several reasons:
1. It wasn't touching the counter (1/4" gap). 2. It's converted to propane so burner output is lower. 3. We commonly used the burners on the side that wasn't against the Formica (habit, no real reason).
It's currently installed against granite so I wouldn't expect any similar problems to yours.
Finally, I am not a fan of the downdraft. It pulls the flame and thus the heat towards the center of the stove, and it cannot handle the volume of smoke when using the grill. Not a great design.
RS.