Any Water Well experts on here

Page 1 of 2

I have a in ground well with the well pipe coming out of the ground. Take the cap off the pipe there is the pressure switch. About once a week water will stop coming in the house. I have to go the pipe take off the cover pull up the pressure switch. I take off the switch cover and with a stick I bump the relays back this cuts the water back on.
What might be causing this to happen. The water starts right back on stays that way for a while. might do it again in 4 days may be 10 days.
I do have a water source heat pump system in the house. Water runs though it and pumps out in my pond. well pressure switch runs when the air is running. It cuts off the water from the well cuts off.
Any advice is appreciated Dave Tennessee

The relay points are sticking. Replace the pressure switch. It is not a high cost item and nor is it a complicated item to replace. Just be sure to turn off the power before working on it.
Harry K
wrote Re Any Water Well experts on here:

My guess is that the pressure switch relay might be sticking due to corrosion or dirt. Can you remove the switch to inspect/clean it?

I am not an expert. Without seeing your type of switch, I can't be sure. But, some wells have a reset lever on them to keep the pump from running when the water pressure drops below a certain level (this keeps the pump from burning up). The pressure drop is due to low water levels in the well and the pump is sucking some air (using more water than the well produces).
If I were you, I would find out EXACTLY which switch/relay you have and go from there to determine if the problem is the switch/relay or well production.
Hank
I did replace the switch and it did the same thing. Before I changed I sprayed WD40 on the relays. The switch is a Square D switch. Thank yall for your thoughts on this.
Jack Valance wrote:

Like in a very short time, you mean?
In that case, it's not the relays or switch itself.
I'd look at the pressure pipe connection where the switch is mounted. I'd venture you've got corrosion/sediment collected in that 1/8" pipe that is not giving good pressure reading; knocking on it disturbs enough for it to operate again for a little while...
Jack Valance wrote:

Well... why in the world would you spray WD40 on relays? And what relays? Do you have an open motor start relay?
Take the relay away from the well and wash the WD 40 off it using carb cleaner. Or just replace it.

Because he was out of duct tape & his vice grips were in his pickup?
-snip-

Or relay cleaner-
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

If the relay was dirty just from normal use, relay cleaner, maybe. But when someone sprays something like WD40 on it, that is not normal use or operating conditions. So I pull out the big guns. Actually I would then file or burnish the contacts after cleaning them. I don't think I've even actually seen relay cleaner, if it's like contact cleaner spray, it's a joke that normally gives more problems then it fixes.
On 6/1/2010 9:41 AM, Jack Valance wrote:

It was cutting out because of high amperage demand and manifested itself to me as having to reset the pressure switch.
GAWWD I just hate dropping $700 on putting a pump in.. Tell me it aint SO...
Jack Valance wrote:

Well, the symptoms are purely coincidental -- the pump would have a thermal overload and all the messing w/ the pressure contacts would be doing would be to waste enough time for it to cool and reset. There's no connection at all between the pump failure described and the pressure switch.
Did you check the pressure line to the switch as I suggested earlier?
I pulled the switch all the way up looking for a kink in the yellow line going from the top of the well pipe to the switch saw nothing noteable. WD i sprayed on the springs relays that go back and forth just to put some oil on them. I did not just spray the whole switch. This weekend I'm going to pull up the pipe just to make sure no hole in the pipe as somebody said..
Jack Valance wrote:

You've got flex tubing for the connection to the pressure switch????? And it's long and just loosely laid in the access area??? Sounds like a problem waiting to happen for sure. I'd say good chance there is a kink or it collapses or is full of crud. I'd also use solid tube and make it short and straight if at all possible. Do you not have a pressure tank?
I'm not used to any system w/o one nor any place that doesn't have a well house for all the components to be installed in neatly so these (imo makeshift) arrangements w/ all at a well head or in a crowded little culvert or somesuch are a wonder. Anyway, I'd surely inspect it and it won't be a leak as that would fail and stay failed--it'll be a mostly plugged or collapsed line. My experience has been that the 1/8" pipe used gets sediment and/or corrosion and when that finally gets to a closed-off situation any final little grain of sand or rust fleck can plug it or not depending on where it is.
Again, are you saying a replacement pressure switch began showing the same symptoms in a very short time? If so, I'll repeat it isn't the switch itself. (OK, unless the pump is short-cycling or some other operational problem that is eating contacts or something but there's been no mention of such).
dpb wrote:

The symptom for a leak would be the pump would never shut off because would never reach pressure...

Like I said in an earlier post.......They make pressure cut-off switches that has a re-set lever, which he may have. Basically, if the pump can't maintain a certain minmum pressure, the electric going to the pump will be dis-connected. Therfore, the pump will not run and burn-up. It protects the pump in addition to the cut-off that is built inside the pump itself.
Since he said he uses the well for a heat pump that flows into a pond, my first guess would be to make sure there is enough water to supply both heat pump and house. Since warmer weather has approached most areas, the heat pump may be using too much of the water.
Since I can't see which cut-off switch he has. I am only guessing.
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote: ...

If that were the case, would he have written "I take off the switch cover and with a stick I bump the relays back this cuts the water back on."? I wouldn't think so... :) Then again, it is usenet... <VBG>
It's certainly possible he's got a capacity problem but doesn't seem the symptoms he's described are what I'd expect those to be.

On some of the re-set types with the lever on the side, the lever is doing what he may do (put it back into position. Google it and you'll see what I mean.
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote: ...

I know what you mean but I'll bet dollars to donuts that ain't it... :)
dpb wrote:

BTW, don't disagree that OP ought to make sure he knows what he's got; reason I don't think this is the problem (altho again, it _could_ be it is, again, usenet here and we ain't got pitchurs :) ) is twofold -- first, the reset lever is fairly obvious and it won't reset and stay on until pressure builds above the setpoint again. It just doesn't seem from his description that's happening that way but again, sure, anything's possible...