Any used appliance parts places

Hi All,
I'm pretty sure my refrigerator thermostat is gone. It's a fairly popular GE part WR9X411.
Most places on the net are over $60 and some over $80. Sears is the lowest at $42, but shipping and tax add $13.
Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take a chance. TIA
Rich
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:49:14 -0400, RichK wrote:

Sure, there's some. Check your local Yellow Pages. Duh.
Linux Registered User #327951

such
take
I sure did, before I posted. None turned up. Plenty of people fix them, a few sell new parts, but none were selling used. Guess it would have to be someone living near an appliance junk yard, salvaging the most useful stuff.
Rich
wrote in message

Try calling a few smaller appliance stores and ask them to look out for one on the way to the dump. Many companies will remove your old appliance whan they deliver as a convenience to the customer. These units usually go straight to the dump without being canibalized first. If the part really is common to multiple models, it may not be long before someone is junking theirs for a new one.
Sears and Best Buy may not want to hastle with you but a small mom and pop store might do it to "get you by until you can afford a new fridge" from them because of the good will they spread.
http://www.affordableappliance.com /

You might try to find a supplier that sells "universal or generic" parts. Last time I bought a cold control it was about $30. Wouldn't waste my time with a used part.
Colbyt
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Not questioning your ability to diagnose a problem, but:
Why do you think the thermostat is bad? Could be a refrigerant leak. Could be the compressor going bad, could be the defrost heater is bad (making it "sort of" cold in the freezer and not very cold in the refrigerator). Some units have fans that go bad. Either inside the unit or outside (for the condensor) and that could be keeping it from getting cold.
I only make these few suggestions because I hate to see you go to all the trouble of finding a thermostat and then it's not the thermostat that is bad. Remember: A thermostat is basically just an on/off switch. It's either on or it's off. The numbers just tell it how long to stay on.....