Any printer gurus?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 13:51:24 -0700, Don Y

Some are terrible. The 940 is great in that it uses a rubber BB to plug the hole from the factory - I replace it with an 8-32 panhead screw.
On 3/2/2016 4:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ha! What's the problem with a "bad seal" after a refill? Does it cause the ink to *run* out of the printhead (atmospheric pressure)?
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 17:24:02 -0700, Don Y

Yup. That and they leak all over the place before you get them into the printer. If you get air into the bag, and the air gets into the printhead, it's bad Jiu-Jiu too. There is a tool to "bleed" the printheads, but it's messy and wastes a lot of ink.
Filling the "tank" I take out the BB or screw, inflate the bag with a modified "canned air" duster, then inject the ink with a syringe. When full I re-install the screw, then draw any air and a bit of ink out through the ink outlet. I've put well over 25 liters of ink through those Pro 8000 printers over the last 5? years - and that's not counting the 70? new cartridges we've put through (along with a fair number of print heads)
On 3/2/2016 6:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"Bag"? I guess that means there's a "bladder" inside the cartridge? I.e., it's not just a "plastic box full of ink"?

?? "Outlet"? Meaning nozzles? How do you coax the air out -- turn it upside down? (nozzle side up)

I dunno. Sure seems easier to just print with lasers...
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:34:46 -0700, Don Y

On the 940 you have a sealed bladder

Not nozzles - the "tank" has a "quick connect" fitting on it that connects to a flexible nylon? line that feeds the ink, via another "quick connect" to the printhead. The tank just sits at the corner of the printer while the printheads fly back and forth - - -

Not when you need colour. Yes, we also have 2 big colour lasers in the office, but printing insurance liability slips on the laser isn't a really viable alternative - and draft mode on the inkjet is a lot cheaper than using the laser - both in ink and power consumption. We also have payment notices/renewals emailed in that get printed off overnight for processing. We did use an Oki LED printer for that for a while, but went back to the officejet because of the power used heating up the fuser every 20 minutes or sa as the emails came in.
At $4 to $8 per ounce for the ink, it is actually cheaper than toner for the laser too.
On 3/2/2016 3:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm sure all companies have short life first cartridges.
Based my HP comments on my recent experience with an OfficeJet 4500 and DeskJet 6940. They only work right with OEM cartridges.

Don't ever try aftermarket cartridges in a Canon Maxify MB2020. Canon doesn't even know how to get the bad cartridge out when it locks up. (I figured it out and salvaged the printer)
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:30:11 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

My last 3 printers have been Epson (I used to rebuild their dot-matrix heads and POS printers). My latest is a Workforce 635. Epson has been using chipped carts for many years...my original Epson needed resetting to re-fill the tank.
As for 6 year old carts...I would not use them! Buy fresh, new high-capacity carts.
On 3/2/2016 8:45 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

If the cartridges ("tanks" in the case of Epson) have not been installed and ink has never flowed through the printhead, you should have no problem.
I just discarded an R1600 with dozens of "tank sets" that *did* have expiration dates; but my reason for discarding it was just to get rid of yet another piece of equipment; not due to "old ink".
On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 10:45:43 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

Should work just fine.