Any printer gurus?

Yep. Sounds like my buddy's commercial grade Epson.

He eventually changed to Canon, but I think it was more cuz of the fact he's a Canon camera lifer. Heck, he's even on Canon's favored customer/testor list, so he probably got "a deal". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'm sure all companies have short life first cartridges.

Based my HP comments on my recent experience with an OfficeJet 4500 and DeskJet 6940. They only work right with OEM cartridges.

Reply to
Frank

I have used Canon cameras for over 15 years and really like them. My first photo printer was a Canon and it worked well, but all of my friends who do this professionally suggested Epson.

Now the tides are turning and the guy who does my large prints

(I consider 13" x 19" small) has switched to Canon. Hopefully it will be another ten years before I have to make the decision again.

Reply to
philo

Ha! What's the problem with a "bad seal" after a refill? Does it cause the ink to *run* out of the printhead (atmospheric pressure)?

Reply to
Don Y

Don't ever try aftermarket cartridges in a Canon Maxify MB2020. Canon doesn't even know how to get the bad cartridge out when it locks up. (I figured it out and salvaged the printer)

Reply to
clare

Yup. That and they leak all over the place before you get them into the printer. If you get air into the bag, and the air gets into the printhead, it's bad Jiu-Jiu too. There is a tool to "bleed" the printheads, but it's messy and wastes a lot of ink.

Filling the "tank" I take out the BB or screw, inflate the bag with a modified "canned air" duster, then inject the ink with a syringe. When full I re-install the screw, then draw any air and a bit of ink out through the ink outlet. I've put well over 25 liters of ink through those Pro 8000 printers over the last 5? years - and that's not counting the 70? new cartridges we've put through (along with a fair number of print heads)

Reply to
clare

I had an Epson that was $25 out the door at CostCo after rebates and so forth. I used it rarely and every time I did it was a session with ammonia and q-tips to get it going again. I shit canned it and bought a Samsung laser. When I turn it on every sixth months it might smell a little bad as it heats up and fries the dust but it works.

Reply to
rbowman

"Bag"? I guess that means there's a "bladder" inside the cartridge? I.e., it's not just a "plastic box full of ink"?

?? "Outlet"? Meaning nozzles? How do you coax the air out -- turn it upside down? (nozzle side up)

I dunno. Sure seems easier to just print with lasers...

Reply to
Don Y

On the 940 you have a sealed bladder

Not nozzles - the "tank" has a "quick connect" fitting on it that connects to a flexible nylon? line that feeds the ink, via another "quick connect" to the printhead. The tank just sits at the corner of the printer while the printheads fly back and forth - - -

Not when you need colour. Yes, we also have 2 big colour lasers in the office, but printing insurance liability slips on the laser isn't a really viable alternative - and draft mode on the inkjet is a lot cheaper than using the laser - both in ink and power consumption. We also have payment notices/renewals emailed in that get printed off overnight for processing. We did use an Oki LED printer for that for a while, but went back to the officejet because of the power used heating up the fuser every 20 minutes or sa as the emails came in.

At $4 to $8 per ounce for the ink, it is actually cheaper than toner for the laser too.

Reply to
clare

I just get the ink carts refilled at Costco.

Reply to