Any lawnmower experts here? ( cotter pin )

Quick question, hope some kind person has the answer-

Just picked up a new mower at Sears today. Sear Craftsman #917.377121 Self-propelled, key-start, variable speed EZ walk. 21" Hi-vac 3-1 cut system.

When I unpacked the mower I found a cotter pin lying at the bottom of the box. I've looked all over the mower, top, sides, and underneath and can't find where the pin should go. Any ideas?

THANKS, PHIL

Reply to
PHIL

Reminds me of a comment I read where some comedian said after you put your barbecue grill together, you're left with a handful of important looking parts.

If your mower works, forget about it ;)

Reply to
Frank

I would guess helps hold handle to deck bracket, see if the pin has a hole in it.

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

Axle? The thingy that moves the whatchamacallit?

Reply to
Norminn

Can not help with that.

Last week I bought a tiller from them and wish I had checked it out beter. After using it about 5 minuits, the drive belt came loose. Put it on and 30 seconds later it came back off. Found 3 of the 4 mounting bolts for the motor missing. The 4 th was loose. Found one nut and bolt in the garden. Then found one nut in the back of my truck. Very poor quality control.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

my guess would be to hold the handle on the pins.

how 'bout looking at the instruction and parts blowup?

S. Barker

Hmmm if it was on the ground would that be a "Terra Cotta"

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

If you lost it and then found it again, it would be a "Welcome Back Cotta".

And of course, if it were for White House use, a "Jimmy Cotta".

Reply to
01dyna

can't

I think the pin said to the mower "See ya...cotta go"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I should add the pin is just shy of 1&1/2" in length. Doesn't look like it secures the handle to the mower deck, just bolts there. I'll look under the deck again tomorrow. Its raining today ...

Reply to
PHIL

Try downloading the .pdf manuals for your new mower here:

Look thru them, you'll find several cotters there. See if they are all in place on your mower.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The bolts that hold the handle to the deck. Check to see if there is a hole through the tip of the bolt. Mine has cotter pins there.

Reply to
DanG