any ideas for unwanted sand?

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard and buy it...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Give them away on Freecycle? Give them away on Craig's list? When your block has a yard sale, give them away then?

Put a note on your work or church bulletin board or newsletter?

Put a sign at the front of your yard? Take an illegal advertising sign with an unprinted side, reverse it, and make your sign with an indelible marker. IF it will help, use one facing each direction and one facilng the street.

Have your own yard sale and give it away then. Put FREE on a sign in front of the bags.

Reply to
mm

I always find a use for the pickup bed sandbags. Find a place to store them, or one of these days you will be running to the store to buy a bag of sand to level patio blocks, mix with garden soil, level the bottom of a small concrete form, etc, etc.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

What city and state do you live? Maybe someone on here will take em. If you were near me, I would. But you're probably not.

Reply to
jw

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com, Nate Nagel spewed forth:

put them in your fertilizer spreader and broadcast around your yard Ya get rid of them plus you get some exercise

Reply to
ChairMan

I sometimes see signs "clean fill wanted" at people's property. Or put them at the curb with a FREE sign and they will be snatched up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Put them on your local

Maybe you can get a couple bucks each, but, for sure, someone can haul them off for you....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

no one you know have a garden? broadcast it on a garden to help break up stubborn soil.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Pick up some free ubiquitous "white bucket"s and store it in there. Be easier to handle next year anyhow.

Put them on the curb with the $5 price sign - they will disappear in sort order. "Free" sand sign may not work :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Dump it on the patio and throw a beach party.

(Seriously - ask a neighbor or local day care center if they'd want it for their sandbox.)

Reply to
Hell Toupee

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Andy in Eureka, Texas- Hide quoted text -

Or put them at the curb with a sign that says free sand.

Reply to
trader4

craigslist

Reply to
mike

Any public beaches near you? Sneak it out there one bag at a time, draped over your shoulders, and cut a corner of the bag as you walk up and down the beach.

But seriously- is it the rough nasty stuff, or the sanitized stuff like they sell for sandboxes? Anybody with small kids always needs to top off the sandbox.

Reply to
aemeijers

In message , ChairMan writes

Have you watched the movie "The Great Escape", or even the much earlier "The Wooden Horse"? As they walked around the exercise area or tended their vegetable garden, the prisoners disposed of the soil from the escape tunnels by surreptitiously releasing it from bags concealed in their trouser legs. Using a similar technique, your local park might provide a suitable place for dumping the sand. ;o)

Alternatively, you could dig a hole and bury it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

My bags been sitting for years. Bags perfect, had to pry firmly apart to get sand for garden. Still have two. Oh, I can fill that hole in the yard!!! I didn't think of that. Thank you..

Greg

Reply to
zek

Take a "business reply mail" card from a junk mailer and tape it to the outside of a bag.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

From: N8N Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 04:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

"I know you won't believe it, but my employer would likely miss me greatly if I left, even though I haven't worked in an engineering capacity for something like six years now."

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Same thing you'd do with a broken refrigerator, used motor oil, or half-filled paint cans.

Leave 'em in a schoolyard during the dark of the moon. We're pretty close right now, the new moon was June 1st.

Reply to
HeyBub