Any down side to installing a roof Sky light? Tube sky light?

We have poor little daylight in our house (windows facing north and south) (Ontario Canada). I am hoping to put in a sky light window in the roof, but wanted to first ask if there are any disadvantages (or problems) that comes with having a sky light. I wonder how much heat would I loose from a window 2x2feet (1% of my heating bill?) If that is all, then I would not mind. any other reason why I would not want to get one? Also, what about those sun tunnel system (tube sky light), are they any good. I would I imagine it would loose less heat and be a lot easier to install.
We're on coast in So. Calif. and wouldn't hink of living without our 2X2 skylight. NO leaks in 7 years since installation and contractor said he'd fix IF ever there was a problem. Solatube had a demo shed at fair where they closed the door to show effectiveness, awesome! No idea about heat loss but can't imagine double panes not offerred.

Do, tube sky lights add a noticeable amount of heat, in the summer? according to there web site, they do not add heat. Can anyone vouch for that?
http://www.sun-dome.com /

I can. We have one (SolarTube) in the south and it doesn't seem to introduce any noticeable heat during the day!
If anything, you have to be extremely careful: plan, plan, plan.
What happen to the ventilation in the ceiling after you have install the skylight? Would there be condensations? What happen if the water vapour freeze and melt? Did you block anything? Will snow collect outside and create problems?
It is also very difficult to determine the cause of a leak too. I am sure there are correct ways. I have a few skylights in the house, installed by professionals and I wish the skylights were never there.
Good luck.
--

<<If you have nothing good to say, don't say it.>>

====================================

I second this. I read once that almost 25% of skylights leak at some point in time.
Peter H
I ddon't care who installs them they either leak and ruin your ceilings or condensattion forms and stains your ceilings. The less holes in a roof the better!
said...

That's an idiotic statement. If it's a proper unit propery installed you won't have a problem. Sure, it can develop a leak over time, but so can the rest of your roof. Inspect it once a year after 5 years.

Sky lights require a permit to be installed here; sometimes are too large and a supporting roof rafter has to be cut. Tubes are 10 inches in diameter and can be placed between beams. Excellent light and no heat into the house. We put one in each bathroom, one in the garage, at the doorway into garage from house and one in Family room (center of house, only one sliding glass door and the door is on the north side, so the room used to be dark). We installed the four tubes in about 3 hours (first one took the longest). It has been nine years now and no problems.
Cindy
I installed two Velux skylights approximately ten years ago. They have been completely trouble free. They face east so excessive heat load is not a problem and I don't have shades in them. I installed them myself and they were a breeze to put in. Get the flashing kits that come with them, makes the job much easier.
I've heard and seen that if you go cheap (the molded, no curb, type) they will leak. Guy down the streed just had two of them taken out along with quite a bit of rotten roof decking.
On 19 Jul 2003 13:56:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (Cindy, CA) wrote:

Well...you will be cutting a hole in the roof and warm air rises...so I suppose it would have some effect. I couldn't guess a %.
We have two in this house as your described about 2x2..maybe a little larger. It does provide additional light but the noise when it rains/hails is so loud that it's nearly unbearable for me. In northern areas, as we had in St. Louis, when it snows you may back in the dark again.
Patricia Next house...no skylights.
It's been 14 years...we have had no leaks or other problems and it does make dim rooms brighter.

I kind of like the noise the rain makes on mine during the day but at night it wakes me up. Otherwise rain makes me sleep like a baby.

Hi, Jimmy:
If it doesn't bother you...that's great. I find them annoying.
I don't mind if it's a light rain...but here in Florida we get some downpours that make these two skylights sound like "stereo-base drums". (G)
I will never build another house with skylights. Between this one, our house in Savannah and the one in St. Louis...(no light when covered with snow)..I'm done with them..... LOL
Patricia Live and learn....
|We have poor little daylight in our house (windows facing north and south) |(Ontario Canada). I am hoping to put in a sky light window in the roof, |but wanted to first ask if there are any disadvantages (or problems) that |comes with having a sky light.
We have 4 skylights including two 48x48, no leaks, 20 year old house. I intend to add a couple more. The addition I'm planning will also have several. It's nice to lay on the bed and watch the trees waving against the clouds.
I wonder how much heat would I loose from |a window 2x2feet (1% of my heating bill?)
No idea, but it's worth it to me, although I'm in TX. heat gain is the issue here.
|If that is all, then I would not mind. any other reason why I would not |want to get one? Also, what about those sun tunnel system (tube sky |light), are they any good. I would I imagine it would loose less heat |and be a lot easier to install.
Nice way to get a lot of sunlight into the center of the house. I intend to use one in a center bathroom.
is this AJs repost or are you new with this question