Any chemists? Need HCl advice

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Something safer is Iron Out. It is a white powder that I use to clean my well filter when it is full of iron bacteria and manganese. Nothing else helped like CLR, toilet bowl cleaners, etc, but this stuff soaks ot clean in about 20 seconds. It gives off some fumes so I keep a fan running to blow clean air at sink where I work. I buy it at plumbers supply and lately I have seen it at Rona.

The spray Contains Oxalic Acid, Boric Acid and Urea, monohydrochloride.
The Super product containd: Sodium carbonate 497-19-8 3 - 7 Sodium hydrosulfite 7775-14-6 15 - 40 Sodium metabisulfite 7681-57-4 15 - 40 Citric acid 77-92-9 1 - 5 Sodium sulfite 7757-83-7 0.5 - 1.5 Sodium bisulfite 7631-90-5 0.1 - 1
Good for rust. Not , perhaps, so good for manganese and lime.
G. Morgan wrote:

If anyone is interested in the outcome, it didn't work. I probably didn't put enough in and I wanted to save a little bit from the bottle for metal cleaning.
I guess I put about a cup in. Let it sit for two hours and came back and hit it with the brush. It lightened it a lot, but not all the way gone.
I'm out of "Bar Keeper's Friend" (Oxalic acid), so I'm going to try that next with gloves and elbow grease.
--
I like to hold the microphone cord like this, I pinch it
together, then I let it go, then you hear a whole bunch of jokes