Ants, Lots of Ants

Page 1 of 2
What is the best procuct for getting rid of ants? I see a bunch around my kitchen window and sink, and I kill them, and minutes later there are more. They are the really small ones. I think they are in the walls. Do they live in the ground, and just travel thru the wall to the kitchen?
I do keep my kitchen very clean, so it's not like there are food crumbs laying around.
Terro has worked well for me. When you put it down the ants will have a field day feeding on it. There will be a zillion of them. After about 3 days their number will suddenly drop and they will be gone til next year.

snipped-for-privacy@co.ha.md.us says... :) What is the best procuct for getting rid of ants? I see a bunch around my :) kitchen window and sink, and I kill them, and minutes later there are more. :) They are the really small ones. :) I think they are in the walls. Do they live in the ground, and just travel :) thru the wall to the kitchen? :) :) I do keep my kitchen very clean, so it's not like there are food crumbs :) laying around. :) A product called Terro seems to be a good all around bait to try first. But sometimes the ants can be choosey on what they want to feed on changing from sugars to proteins so trying several baits before they accept it may be the course. Depending on the species they can be living in the wall itself or they can be outside ants coming in, where treating the source may be a quicker resolve than the bait in the kitchen.
--
Lar

Go to the supermarket or hardware store and buy some ant traps that contain a few percent boric acid or borates listed on the label and follow the directions. The work slowly and surely because the ants bring the toxin home and it destroys the colony. This way you don't take the kill everything that moves approach and only target those ants entering your home. Steve wrote:

log on to www.gardensalive.com and look for liquid ant bait. Comes in two ounce bottles. Only stuff that I've found which works.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Steve wrote:

Yeah boric acid is a few $$ a pound at Home Depot. You can mix it with corn syrup. It is moderately toxic so don't put it where kids or pets could get to it.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:29:53 -0400, Stubby
:If you're cheap like me, half borax and half sugar will do the job.
I have some commercial stuff, a liquid which contains boric acid, but I've found that the ants don't care for it. I mix a drop of it with a drop of pancake syrup and they are much more interested.
I have the same problem every year, usually a bout in the winter and another in the summer. I'm fighting off the summer invasion right now. Every ant I see is a dead ant. When I see several, I wipe the area with a sponge, because I'm convinced that the ants leave a trail that tells other ants "hey, I like this place, I found a crumb of this, a few molecules of that." This keeps them in check. I haven't found external colonies, but maybe they are there. I suspect they are living within the walls, however.
:Steve wrote: :> What is the best procuct for getting rid of ants? I see a bunch around my :> kitchen window and sink, and I kill them, and minutes later there are more. :> They are the really small ones. :> I think they are in the walls. Do they live in the ground, and just travel :> thru the wall to the kitchen? :> :> I do keep my kitchen very clean, so it's not like there are food crumbs :> laying around.

Absolutely true. The way they establish those neat trails is when more than a few use the same route back home, each fine tuning it a bit. Eventually they have laid down a perfect pheromone trail that any ant crossing recognizes as the road to the promised land. Ants are really pretty interesting and the more you understand about them the more you know you will never win the battle. The best you can do is fight them to a draw.
Steve wrote:

Two things:
1. Get a residual ant killer, like Raid or Black Flag, and spray a solid, wet band of it all around the seams under your sink and around the window. Sort of like building a "fence" they must go through.
2. Get a granular pesticide (Diazinon was terrific, until the bunny-huggers got it banned) and sprinkle it liberally around the foundation of your house, making about a foot-wide band of it. Be sure and go completely around the house, so ANY insect that enters must crawl through it.
This will work. Repeat every couple of months.
snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote:

safe as long as it was used properly. In fact it was used as a flea powder on pets back in the late '60s. I believe it was the exterminator that got it banned so business would improve.
snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu says... :) Chlordane was a lot better and would last 30 years or so. Perfectly :) safe as long as it was used properly. In fact it was used as a flea :) powder on pets back in the late '60s. I believe it was the exterminator :) that got it banned so business would improve. :) :) Chlordane was in the same group of insecticides as DDT, so when it went, so did chlordane..it's back on the bunny huggers.
--
Lar

We have had tiny, tiny ants here in FL this year. Terro does the job better than anything else I tried but it won't keep from year to year. Buy new Terro and when the summer is over, throw it away and buy fresh next year. The ants will be back. I got a large bottle of spray at Home Depot and sprayed outside the house....helps cut down on various insects.
The tiny ants come in the kitchen and bath. I have been careful to keep things clean and have no idea how they got in. I recaulked all the windows and the tile in the bathroom.....and when it starts raining outside they all come running in.

cavities in the wood that had pupas ( little white maggot looking things) in them. I cleaned all them out, killed all the ant that I found. There were tons of them, until I saw not more in the area. They have pretty much decimated a section of wood about 12 feet long that used to be a 2 x 8. This is in a converted porch that the previous owner built. I plan to tear it off, but was not planning to do it until next year. I just don't want to cause them to move somewhere else. This area was damp from the roof leaking, the rest of the place is dry. Any one know how to tell if you found the nest? I have read that the only way to rid the place of carpenter ants is to physically remove the nest.
By the way I set out the nutra sweet for a week and they did not touch it, so I guess that theory is all wet.
LJ
Old snipped-for-privacy@thelake.com says... :) off, but was not planning to do it until next year. I just don't want to :) cause them to move somewhere else. This area was damp from the roof leaking, :) the rest of the place is dry. Any one know how to tell if you found the :) nest? I have read that the only way to rid the place of carpenter ants is to :) physically remove the nest. :) :) If you found the larvae you found the nest, though if the maggoty things were moving by themselves they were termites, if they were being carried by other ants, they were CA in the heart of the nest. There are two carpenter ant baits that the pros use that you can find over the web or at a do it yourself type pest store. I have used the Advance Granular Carpenter Ant Bait and have had success on nests I had no idea where they were located at. I myself have not used MAXFORCE CARPENTER ANT BAIT GEL, but all that I know who have used it say it works as well as the other product.
--
Lar

We seem to have a different carpenter ant in Florida. (but we have lots of different ants than most of the US) I have had carpenter ants that had satellite nests all over the house with several dozen to 100 individuals and larvae in each. The mother ship was in the mulch right outside.. There were not even in a wood environment, just any convenient cool dark place. I had a nest in a plastic diskette case
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) We seem to have a different carpenter ant in Florida. (but we have :) lots of different ants than most of the US) :) I have had carpenter ants that had satellite nests all over the house :) with several dozen to 100 individuals and larvae in each. The mother :) ship was in the mulch right outside.. There were not even in a wood :) environment, just any convenient cool dark place. I had a nest in a :) plastic diskette case :) :) I'm in Texas and the vast majority of carp ant jobs I do have nothing to with wood at all, much less wet wood. The most common area I find them in are the hollow tubing in storm windows/door and screens. The oddest place was in a kitchen, took forever to trail them down and in a cabinet there was an old wide mouthed jar of home made prunes. It was capped with a three inch across cork and the ants made the cork their home. At least nowadays what we have to treat for them makes them, all ants in general, a non issue any more.
--
Lar

Yep, maybe it's a southern thing. I imagine these are just one more nasty imported species. Do you have the white foot ants there? They will turn everything you think you know about ants on it's head. They use multiple food streams, eating different foods and shutting one down if baits start killing the residents. They also seem to have an unlimited number of queens in waiting so killing the queen is just a minor disruption to the colony. We also have the multiple queen fire ant colonies here too that will accept workers from another nest if that one is destroyed. Ants from the tropics are tough and they can be real hard to get rid of. It is strange that the white foot ants have displaced fire ants around here. Usually this time of year I have dozens of fire ants nests popping up in the yard. This year I didn't see any.That is a good news/bad news joke. White foot ants don't bite you but fire ants don't usually come in the house. I guess white foot ants eat fire ants.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) Do you have the white foot ants there? They will turn everything you :) think you know about ants on it's head. They use multiple food :) streams, eating different foods and shutting one down if baits start :) killing the residents. They also seem to have an unlimited number of :) :) I figure it just a matter of time before we start getting calls on them.... did have a new species show up earlier this year and have now seen it around Dallas several times this Summer...the Rover Ant...makes the Little Black Ant look large. If ants are a yearly problem you might look into having the foundation and entry points treated with Termidor. Stops all ants from invading from 6 months to a year....hmm can't say for sure it will stop Pharaoh ants since they are an inside ant, but then again we rarely see Pharaohs anymore since Max force came on the market a number of years back.
--
Lar

were unstoppable it seemed. I threw everything in the book at them for 2 years.The problem was solved by actually treating the walls. I punched holes and shot a now illegal persistant into every stud bay on all the wet walls. That whacked them and knock wood, they have been gone for 20 years.