Anti-tip necessary for stove?

With an anti-tip bracket, the stove will slide in and out just fine. The bracket simply keeps the rear end from lifting up off the ground, when the stove is pushed into its normal position close to the back wall.

Reply to
jeffc

You're gonna die when you see the child seats.

Reply to
jeffc

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 06:30:51p, jeffc wrote in alt.home.repair:

Whether it's code or not depends on where you live. If the builder is coming back for other things, I doubt he'd put up an argument if you simply said you'd really like the bracket installed. I doubt it would take him more than 5 minutes. The bracket came with the stove with the intention of it being installed. I doubt the builder will put up an argument.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 06:33:14p, jeffc wrote in alt.home.repair:

Are they in the oven or the storage drawer?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Probably. Just checked the Internet and found out that the seat belts and child seats are manufactured by Hansel and Gretel Industries.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's interesting, but the point is I've never seen anything attached to the wall or the floor. I guess I'll just rely on my wife. By the time she puts 150 pounds of cast iron stuff in the drawer, no kid could possibly tip the stove.

One further thought, I just checked my electric stove and there is no way someone could stand on the oven door and tip the stove over. I started to shove down on the door, and after a few pounds pressure the door started to give, but no stove tipping, so I realizing that the door would break off before the stove ever tipped over. Should have realized this already, because I just replaced a spring in the door and looked at the mechanism.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 09:56:30p, George E. Cawthon wrote in alt.home.repair:

The average stove probably doesn't contain 150 pounds of cast iron in the drawer. If you happen to have an older stove it would probably be heavier, but the new stoves are rather light.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Actually no, she just stacked dishes there until the hinges failed & buckled.

Reply to
Nick Hull

umm if the parents can't raise there kids to stay away from the stove then an anti-tipping bracket isn't going to help, eg.. cooking something in stove and on stove.

kids comes over opens door to stand on it, and burns feet!

Reply to
Punch

yep stoves have changed, I can tip mine with 2 fingers pressing on the door..

Reply to
Punch

What I worried about is the possibility of the stove rusting into the bracket, making it impossible to remove at a later date. My concern is based on replacing two old appliances that were leaving piles of rust underneath. The front leg of the stove fell off when we tried to move it to do some work on the wall.

Curly Sue

Since I didn't know any stoves had anti-tip brackets, I certainly don't know what the bracket looks like. However, it is easy to get around your concern. Depending on the stove the top of the stove at the back is a higher ledge, shelf, or other structure. All you need to do is make or have made a 3/4" - 1" thick trim board that you screw into the studs and fits snug above the stove.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

See page 4

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Thanks, it doesn't much look like rust would be a problem.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon