Anti-tip necessary for stove?

Page 2 of 2

umm if the parents can't raise there kids to stay away from the stove then an anti-tipping bracket isn't going to help, eg.. cooking something in stove and on stove.
kids comes over opens door to stand on it, and burns feet!
TURTLE wrote:

Notwithstanding that the chance of that is poor, let me be harsh. Any kid that would pull the oven door down to stand on it, must have extremely incompetent parents or parents that are just plain stupid and have passed that on to their children. Probably better for the human race in that genetic line is stopped. May be it will only burn his balls off.
But let's say you do install the stove antitip, the kid will just reach up and pull the boiling water down on him. Or, he will be be in the garage sniffing glue and burn down the house.
BTW, I have never heard of a stove anti-tip bracket before this thread and I have never seen a stove that didn't just slip in and out of the stove space. Oh, never heard of a stove tipping over before either. Next thing you know they will have an anti-tip bracket for smoke alarms.
Not a criticism of you Turtle, just seemed like a good place for a little rant.

Apparently you haven't used a new stove lately. The new ones aren't 400 lbs like the old ones were. The new ones are very light and tip over very easy.
I'll bet you don't wear your seatbelts either.
Oscar_Lives wrote: ((snipped))

Gees, I must be isolated. In addition to never having heard of anti-tip brackets for stoves, I also had no idea that stoves now have seatbelts.

You're gonna die when you see the child seats.
jeffc wrote:

Probably. Just checked the Internet and found out that the seat belts and child seats are manufactured by Hansel and Gretel Industries.
On Tue 14 Jun 2005 06:33:14p, jeffc wrote in alt.home.repair:

Are they in the oven or the storage drawer?
--
Wayne Boatwright **

With an anti-tip bracket, the stove will slide in and out just fine. The bracket simply keeps the rear end from lifting up off the ground, when the stove is pushed into its normal position close to the back wall.
jeffc wrote:

That's interesting, but the point is I've never seen anything attached to the wall or the floor. I guess I'll just rely on my wife. By the time she puts 150 pounds of cast iron stuff in the drawer, no kid could possibly tip the stove.
One further thought, I just checked my electric stove and there is no way someone could stand on the oven door and tip the stove over. I started to shove down on the door, and after a few pounds pressure the door started to give, but no stove tipping, so I realizing that the door would break off before the stove ever tipped over. Should have realized this already, because I just replaced a spring in the door and looked at the mechanism.
On Tue 14 Jun 2005 09:56:30p, George E. Cawthon wrote in alt.home.repair:

The average stove probably doesn't contain 150 pounds of cast iron in the drawer. If you happen to have an older stove it would probably be heavier, but the new stoves are rather light.
--
Wayne Boatwright **

yep stoves have changed, I can tip mine with 2 fingers pressing on the door..

While the braclet is a good idea, neither your wife nor the neighbors kids can see it or know it's there. I prefer a 'third leg' on the door that swings down as you oipen the door. It's obvious it's there and always works when some moron stands on the door. It's saved the hinges on my dishwasher many times when my teenager overloaded it.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote:

Your teenager stood on the dishwasher door?

Actually no, she just stacked dishes there until the hinges failed & buckled.