Anti-siphon Spigot question

have a question about anti-siphon spigots. Should the spigot leak water thru the anti-siphon cap when a hose is connected to the spigot and the hose as a sprayer connected to the end and is turned off?
Thanks,
PG

Spigot on and sprayer off? No. If it does the cap most likely can be removed and the washer replaced.

Thanks for the reply. Does the cap just pop off? Can I carefully pry it off with a screw driver? Its just turns round & round when I turn it by hand.

If it is a Mansfield (probably the most common I've seen - YMMV) there is a repair kit available for that specific issue:
http://doitbest.com/Laundry+and+Frost+Proof+Faucets-Mansfield+Plbg.+Prod.-model-006307500-doitbest-sku-449148.dib
Change this while you're at it:
http://doitbest.com/Laundry+and+Frost+Proof+Faucets-Mansfield+Plbg.+Prod.-model-006307755-doitbest-sku-492361.dib
Hey, and you might as well get a new handle too and it will look pretty again:
http://doitbest.com/Laundry+and+Frost+Proof+Faucets-Mansfield+Plbg.+Prod.-model-006307965-doitbest-sku-449121.dib
There is a good possibility all these parts are available at your local hardware store as well.
Tip: If you do take the handle off when replacing put some anti-seize compound on the handle screw threads for the next service.
Hope this helps!
grafgulch wrote:

Depends on how much is too much. You're working against the elasticity of the hose. Water pressure on the house side of the valve versus the same water pressure plus the elastic properties of the hose means the anti-siphon valve is doing exactly what its supposed to do. Hook your sprayer directly to the faucet and see if you get any backflow then.
--
Grandpa