Annoying washing machine problem

My 10 tear old washing machine just developed an issue with the little lever that SHOULD be depressed by the little pointer on the lid to allow it to wash/spin. Before, when you closed the kid, you heard a little click, but now the little lever isn't being pushed down enough. I balled up a paper towel and wedged it in there and it works. I haven't had a minute to closely look at it (nothing seems obviously loose).
Any one else ever have this? New switch? New washing machine?
Thanks!!
Add pictures here
✖
I had this problem with my GE washer. I was able to "bend" the piece of the lever that was operated by the Pointer so the switch would work.
---MIKE---

Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 11, 8:08 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

My 10 tear old washing machine just developed an issue with the little lever that SHOULD be depressed by the little pointer on the lid to allow it to wash/spin. Before, when you closed the kid, you heard a little click, but now the little lever isn't being pushed down enough. I balled up a paper towel and wedged it in there and it works. I haven't had a minute to closely look at it (nothing seems obviously loose).
Any one else ever have this? New switch? New washing machine?
Thanks!!
Hey....I finally got around to working on this problem. Popping the top of my GE washing machine was the hardest part. I took a putty knife and worked in around between the top and the front and ended up removing the front panel instead. From there, I realized the top was bolted down. I removed 2 small bolts, then had to pull the little hose off the never-used bleach chute (damn, forgot to put that back on). Anyway, once I had the top up I could see the little contraption that wasn't working. The piece that is depressed by the little pointer on the lid depresses a thin strip of metal which is part of the switch. I bent the thin strip of metal good and Voila! it works now. Thanks for the advice!
Happy New Year to all!
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
pop the top, (unplug it first) take the two wires off the switch, strip them and wire nut them together. done.

✖
Effective but unsafe. I like the "bend the tab" answer better.
Please use electrical tape over the wire nut, helps hold wire nut on. Tape all the wire nut, and then about two or three inches up the wire.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

✖
On Dec 11, 10:11 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

.
Thanks for these replies. This is the best newsgroup out there based on signal-to-noise ratio. Great information, and a nice level of snark for levity (but not too much usually). I like it. Back to (mostly) lurking mode.
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
10-4 i hear ya. i've seen that happen also.

✖