Analog clock...setting time

Page 1 of 2

As a force of habit I have been resetting the clocks around the house by only moving the hands clockwise. Somewhere along the line I was told a clock could be damaged if you moved the hands backwards. I have no idea of the source or validity of the information. Have I been misled all these years?
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 10:49:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I'm sure it depends on the clock -- I have heard the same about some grandfather clocks and similar with very delicate, complicated, mechanisms. But normal watches and clocks with the square mechanisms and time-set knob I'm sure are fine to crank either way.
Josh
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

It was very true when talking about older wind up clocks but I don't think it will hurt a newer clock. Hmm, well not all new clocks. I wouldn't turn a brand new grandfather clock movement backwards but I've turned the single AA battery type movements backwards for many years and never had a problem.
Tony wrote:

Since the post above I changed my clocks back an hour. I see the cheap single AA cell battery type shows arrows, turning the time adjustment either direction.
I've not hear that. Might have been true some generations ago, with older clocks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I turn mine backwards with no problems. Of course they are all battery operated. In the old wind up days it may have been true. How did they turn a sun dial backwards?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

They reversed the orbit of the Earth around the sun.

A large pipe wrench...
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:25:31 -0800 (PST), professorpaul

Okay, but what about an hour glass? Rotate left in Fall and right in Spring?
Little knob on the back, like the new clocks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mine is on the deck. I just turn the house a few degrees.

I have a sun dial. The arm that has a bolt to adjust the time.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Hi, I turn the hand backward on our vintage mantle clock. Nothing happened. Still it keeps good time and chimes as long as I wind it up every week.

With older mechanical movements with chimes you are supposed to turn the hands backwards, or with some clocks you can turn the hands forward and stop at each chime interval. With electric and battery clocks it doesn't matter.

I've always turned the wind-ups backward starting with my first one about 1954. Never a problem. Got my first battery one a few years ago.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

If you adjust the time with a knob and the know will LET you turn the time backwards, you should be okay.
My grandfather clock came with instructions to adjust the time by turning the hands backwards only. Turning them backwards makes it unnecessary to stop every quarter hour for the chime. Otherwise the chime and the hands get out of sync.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I turn my cuckoo clock backwards.

My schoolhouse clock will adjust the chime automatically if I turn it forward any amount of time. . I've never turned it backward, I just stop it for an hour and re-start it.
Walter R. wrote:

Huh? I never would have guessed. Suppose I got caught up in the "never turn a clock backwards thing. My octagon clock doesn't like being turned backwards. It actually jambs and messes up the sync between the long and short hands. It's a New Haven clock from ~ 1870's but unfortunately the entire clock mechanism had been replaced while or before my grandparents owned it.