An A-frame solar water heater concept

Page 2 of 2

England in the tropics? Well if it stays below freezing all day, it is a very cold day. In Winter, dropping below freezing during the night is common.
Well the UKs most northerly part, is further north than the most southerly point of Greenland. The most southerly, the Scillies, never gets frost. We will be quite mild, yet on that same latitude where polar bears roam in other parts.
News wrote:

Note the smiley... You are, in fact, almost 7 degrees north of me. I was born in London, I know the temperature difference.
--
derek

Say a 20 foot length of this 4" plastic pipe running under the roof apex in the attic. Say, 20C in the attic and water inside, coming in from the water mains at 5C, who long to raise the mass of water to 20C?
How much are you going to gain from solar heat? It may take a while to payback the cost of the pipe and fitting.
Just out of interest.

Since you ask, I'll comment. The pond above is much more efficient than a pipe in the attic, and it's a draindown system with no exposed water to freeze at night.

Just hot water for showers. The "special greenhouse" might cost $200.

What does that mean?

That might happen north of the Arctic circle :-)

Unpretentious is nice :-)

The staff of the b?

Vegetable gardens don't reflect much sun...

....6 is the garden? Looks like your ascii art got corrupted.

Attwood's $30 pumps have a 3 year guarantee and a 600 hour lifetime.

Nice, altho this requires more pump power than a horizontal pond above a tank with a spiral pipe heat exchanger in the bottom which leaves the water level of the supply and return pipes just below the pond when the pump isn't running. What would you use for a pump and a tank, vs a $98 EZ-set setup?

Nice. You might turn the pump on with Grainger's $8 2E247 snap-disc thermostat in a 1 liter soda bottle (closed above 130 F and open below 115) and turn it off with Grainger's $10 2E365 thermostat (closed below 120 and open above 140) sensing the water temp, if you plan to use a pressurized flat PE pipe spiral as the cold water heat exchanger.

You might pressurize the hot water, unless you live in the basement.

Sounds like work. You mightr say more about this compost process. I did address the cloudy and short days, using actual numbers :-)

Same for the A-frame, with most of the water on the ground.

Sounds familiar.

"Work!" -- Maynard G. Krebs

I disagree.
Nick

Compare data to your theory.
George Ghio wrote:

I agree with this sentiment.
It would be better for everyone if these theoretical projects were actually built and tested, with all data posted, before someone invests their time and money for construction and then finds out that the return on investment is insufficient.
There are times when practice does not fulfill, what theory promises.
Cosmopolite wrote:

Well, the design is made public through this forum and it doesn't look like a demonstration/test version would be either difficult or expensive to build. Anyone could build it and tell us how it does or does not perform. It need not be Nick. Certainly, there must be someone with enough time on their hands to do such a thing.
Anthony

Nick posted a theory. What is wrong with that? A theory that others may take up in full or partially, or spark somthing in their mind. Nick is a thinker and thinks out loud. Nothing wrong with that at all. I like thinkers.
The problem is he writes like a "who done it". You have to read it all to find out what it does at the end, just like Agatha Christie.
Yeah, he is full of ideas and also a troll. This means when you object to one of his fanatical theories he tries to get everybody against you because he cannot support his theories and doesn't value discussion on it, just the lime light.

News wrote:

someone to build one of his pipe dreams.
If someone does build something Nick proposed and it does not work as per Nick's projections he can always say "Well I only said "Might" "Could" "If" "Maybe" "Somehow" so its not my fault it doesn't work. It was just an idea.
Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk
Just don't let him near any tools or some one could get hurt.

That's not true.. i remember a couple of years back Nick was doing some alterations to a cabin in the woods. IIRC, He had a problem with the board who operated the cabin for his extensive renovations
Greetings Nick,
The real question is if more women will sleep with you because you use "solar energy" than will run screaming because you have a huge A-Frame in your yard.
Let us know how it turns out, William
-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info
~~~~~~~~ The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining - JFK ~~~~~~~~