Amana microwave blows fuse

Hello,
I have an Amana MVH230 over-the-range microwave. It is 6 years old. Whenever I cook, the fuse blows. I measured the transformer's HV lead to chassis and got 45 ohms. I measured the HV capacitor with an ohmmeter and the resistance started at zero and climbed to out-of-range (what you would expect).
Any other recommended tests that I can do with a DVM? Could the magnetron tube be bad? How can I check?
Thanks, Carl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 22 Feb 2004, wrote:

Chech the nagnetic strip on the back of your Visa card for continuity. Take it to the nearest Target, WalMart or even Sears (if you really must waste your money) and buy a new microwave.

And if it is, it will likely cost you more to fix than to buy a new one. Maybe not? Then consider the fact that you're putting a new tube into a 6 year old box. What's next? The fan? The PCB?
--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@noemail.none wrote in message
Hi,

That is part of the full model#.

When does it blow the fuse? As soon as you hit the start button, when you open or close the door? Fuse inside the unit or house fuse?

A copy....
Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ).
A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwave fuse.
Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button.
A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor

Yes, but normally doesn't blow the fuse, may make noises and not heat up but usually dosn't blow the fuse.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Carl: For goodness sake be careful, those voltage, up to 5000 volts can kill. I do not exaggerate. Also they emit microwaves which are also dangerous. If it does start working don't stand near it with cover off, just in case. Buy one of those little RF diode detectors (less than $15) to test for RF leakage, especially around the door and air vents. If you are not electronically skilled to say the level of working on a medium power radio transmitter, because that's what a microwave oven is; a microwave radio transmitter inside a metal box, don't mess with it unless it something very obvious. If it's the magnetron it will likely cost anywhere from $30 to $50 for a 'used' one. A new replacement magnetron can run up to $100. And you have to have right type. And you will still have a used microwave oven! With potential for other items failing? Door switches can sometimes get gummed up with food particles. But it could be almost anything, there is often a circuit diagram inside the m.wave cover. But they don't necessarily give component values and you need to able to 'read' the circuit diagram to understand what you are actually measuring with a volt ohmmeter etc. We have a total of six microwave ovens, one domestically and five as part of a cafeteria operation; we have repaired three of them, that's 50% over a six year period. BTW I am an ex-electronics technician.. Microwaves are cheap now. I've seen them typically for less than $90 retail in major stores and even the supermarkets. Recently even, some small ones on sale, for $49.95! I'm thinking of putting one of those in my truck camper! Be careful. Terry.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The internal fuse or house fuse?

With the leads disconnected from it? If so, the transformer is shorted to ground and needs to be replaced.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+microwave
=~~~~~~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.