Am I imagining problems with this drywall?

Hi,

I'm having my bathroom redone and I think that one of the walls is not as flat as it should be. Before I ask my contractors to fix it, I would like to make sure that I'm not imagining things. I've uploaded to high resolution images:

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I can't tell from that picture whether the wall is flat - in plane - or not. To determine such, hold a 4' straightedge against the wall. There shouldn't be a gap larger than 1/8" and the transitions should be smooth - tapered out for at least a foot.

You should talk to the painter about using the correct roller cover and _cleaning_ it before it's used! On new drywall 3/8" nap leaves a nice smooth finish. Anything greater than that can leave too much paint on the wall and it dries with a much more pronounced texture. There's also a lot of crud in the paint. Use a drywall sanding screen on a pole and knock off the nibs, then recoat.

RicodJour

That's one busy bathroom. The tape job in the center bottom, isn't great, but I assume a base cabinet of some sort is going there, so it wouldn't matter

Reply to
RBM

If the same guy painted that did the electric I would be worried and check everything out. If the lighting we see is what you will use he needs to go over his work again.

Reply to
ransley

Really crappy paint job and no sponge down before the paint was applied.

I think I saw a small blemish or two. It is quite common to find a couple after the primer coat is applied.

They are easy to float off at that time.

You have reason to be concerned.

Reply to
Colbyt

In the first photo the job around the right hand light box looks like the drywall installer pushed the drywall over the box to expose the box (like he screwed the drywall down without doing the cutout first). It looks real bad if your out-of-focus photo is anything at all like the real thing. What is that mark under the center outlet? The big cutout around the bottom right outlet cluster is very sloppy. The paint job over dirty walls is extremely poor workmanship also. Is the gouge running from one bottom box to the other going to be covered up? If not, it needs to be patched.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

After reading the other comments in this thread and looking at the two pictres, I know that I need to:

A. get my eyes checked and get new glasses; and,

B. get a whole lot better monitor.

In the pictures, I can't see any of the things commented about! Especially the paint items. Or are you guys looking at the dark area, which I think is shadow area, which I think is the shadow of the photographer?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Cover the wall with mirror and cabinets....

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

Did I count correctly, there six wall receptacles near the bath floor? / on that wall!

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

BOTH the mudding and the painting look like shit...MAKE THEM FIX IT....

Reply to
benick

It's hard to really judge the "flatness" from a photograph. But the general quality of the finish is extremely poor. It looks more like a wall that has had 20 years of beating and multiple patches.

As a new wall, I'd consider it perfectly unacceptable.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Wavy? Who knows - a straight-on pic just doesn't show much.

In a small room you'd need to either point the cam from ceiling level down to show the wall/floor intersection or up from floor level at the wall/ceiling joint to get any idea of waviness.

The finish/paint job is crap - I'm currently skimming all the walls in my 50 yr. old house to smooth out stuff like that.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)