Alternative To Wood Floor or Carper for Second Floor?

The upstairs (appx 500 sq ft) of my townhome has a laminated wood floor that has been refinished at least once. There isn't enough wood left to sand/refinish. Any suggestions for a new floor material? I don't want to use carpeting. I live in the mid Atlantic region with cold winters - 18 degrees this evening - so I don't think tile is a good alternative. Somebody recommended cork, but I don't know how that would look or how durable it would be.
Mike

Why not carpeting?
Want to try something different and carpeting tends to be very hot in the summertime.
Mike

Just out of curiousity - why would carpeting be hotter in the summer than any other flooring?

It's all in eyes (feet, head) of the user. But, it's still a valid reason, I guess. One fact, though: Any rough surface *has* to slow down draftiness a bit, compared to a hard one. This is why I can't stand the idea of hardwood floors in my cold climate.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Doesn't work that way for a golf ball. The carpet might break up the laminar flow. Couldn't be sure without seeing test results. The carpet definitely has insulation value, though.
RicodJour wrote:

and craw space. they can be colder than carpet. and i know they can be a pain in the ass to keep up with, i would not have carpet. specially if you ever take up carpet and padding and see the dirt in it.
Mike wrote:

First time I saw cork flooring was at Fallingwater, the house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Stuff was beautiful.
Here's a link that might help: http://www.floorfacts.com/corkfloors.asp

Cork is nice. Bamboo is very close to the look of tongue and groove wood but is easier to put down, cheap, and hard (about the same as maple; harder than red oak). I did my downstairs halls, kitchen, and diningroom in it this summer. I'm thinking about doing the family room and a bedroom this spring (maybe livingroom too).
--
Keith

I'm thinking I've got the luxury to install anything up there right now.
A neighbor used bamboo and is pleased with. Guess I should get over there and take look. I s there any downside to bamboo? How did you buy it - in long strips or by the box? How/what is it finished with?
Mike
says...

I've noticed (but paid no attention to) some bamboo discussions here. Google search for the word in the subject lines.