Aligning Riding LawnMower Blades

Is there a special way that multiple mower blades should be re- installed after changing? I was talking to a neighbor the other day about my grass cutting woes and he said that there were instructions on the 'net but I cant find them. I get a hump in the middle of my cut unless I cut my grass really short. He was thinking it might be a mis- alignment issue.

thanks

Reply to
depictureboy

Well, they're obviously not level or it wouldn't do that... :)

Start by parking it on a level spot like the driveway slab and measure the bottom of the deck to ground on each side -- it should be the same, obviously. If it's not, figure out the mechanism for adjusting or look for what is broken/bent and fix that. The ordinary design adjustments should be in the owner's manual. Oh, don't for get to make sure tire inflation is correct and the same for all four tires first and that the sizes match and there's not a bearing or axle problem...

Once the deck is level, measure each blade tip to the ground at the four compass points (can start w/ 2 and refine). They should also be level.

Possibilities are the mounting flange has dirt/obstruction so blade doesn't meet the flange flat, one or both blades are bent, the shaft is bent or misaligned, bearings, etc., ...

Again, owner's manual should explain how to adjust normal adjustments -- after that it's look for stuff that isn't correct--broken, worn, bent, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't think so. The blades are likely dull, especially the tips.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Only one problem with this whole line of technique. The bottom edge of the deck shell itself has NOTHING to do with it. Just measure from the blades to the ground. Where the sheetmetal is , is of no consequence.

S. Barker

I agree with Chris. Try putting on a new set of blades.

S. Barker

If the deck is way out of whack, that indicates the whole carriage isn't level -- the rim is folded evenly so that makes an easy place to measure--if you're anal, measure from the top of the deck.

--

Reply to
dpb

And, of course, the simplest way to quickly check that a blade tip or shaft isn't bent or similar is to rotate the blade tips past a given point and check the clearance to the deck lip at that point--if each end isn't the same height, there's something wrong to fix.

--

Reply to
dpb

Not so at all. Many manufacturers make the bottom of the deck different height above the ground at the sides than at the front for quality of cut issues, while the back is usually lower to prevent dangerous "discharges". Also, the top of the deck is always higher on the discharge side than on the opposite side. On some manufacturers, the left discharge requires more clearance for the clippings, while most manufacturers require more clearance on their right side discharge. A very few manufacturers offer a rear discharge, which MIGHT be equidistant across the sides to the ground.

The only way to adjust a mower for level properly is to consult the owner's manual or manufacturer's service manual for the correct place to measure and to adjust. Most will say measure the tips of the blades in multiple positions.

Reply to
Husky

If you say so. Never seen it on one I've had. Go for what works for you.

--

Reply to
dpb