Alarm System Contacts

Page 2 of 5
On 5/28/2011 7:05 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/05/27/jeff.conaway.dead/index.html?hpt=T2
Oh man, I liked Jeff Conaway, he was in a lot of my favorite shows. I made a trip to the pharmacy this afternoon and I stopped at the closest convenience store to get the largest Monster Energy Drink on sale there because I didn't want to pass out while driving. I despise taking drugs and take as little as I can get away with except for the antibiotics which I take on schedule until they're all gone. ^_^
TDD

This is an honest, non-hostile question. I hesitate to ask, given your reported medical condition, but couldn't a drink of orange juice have done as well as the "Monster Energy Drink"? Based on what research I have done, those drinks are loaded with empty calories and other "bad things", and count on macho advertising to sell their wares. I share your displeasure at taking drugs and avoid them whenever possible. Just had elective surgery for a torn meniscus in the knee, and do take some **** for the pain, but resent the hell out of it and hope it dies down soon.
Anyway, hope my q. was not objectionable, and wish you all the best that SHE up there can provide.
HB
On 5/28/2011 8:46 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Oh man, I liked Jeff Conaway, he was in a lot of my favorite shows. I

Thanks for the question, I've never consumed an alcoholic beverage in my life or taken an illegal or recreational drug either and all my fellow hippies thought I was weird while I watched them bounce off walls and hallucinate polka doted elephants lecturing them on politics. I saved many of their lives just by being there and driving them home. Being a science geek from a young age I've always wanted to know what, why, when and what's in that. The Monster type energy drinks contain a lot of caffeine, taurine, ginseng, guarana and B-Vitamins along with a lot of sugar. I don't EVER drink more than one a day and may go months without drinking one but if I feel I need a kick in the butt from legal stimulants, I may consume an energy drink. I've never been a coffee drinker but being a Southerner I did drink sweet iced tea until cutting out a lot of sugar and switching to unsweetened tea and diet soft drinks. I do not recommend anyone of any age to consume large amounts of the potentially evil beverages. I have a friend who aggravated his heart condition and landed in the hospital because he was drinking a lot of those energy drinks to keep his energy level up. Drink Monster Juice with caution. I hope your medical condition improves also because nobody deserves to suffer that kind of pain. Believe me, as someone who has lived with and ignored more pain than most folks can tolerate, I know what pain is. :-)
TDD
On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:36:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm uncomfortable around people who spam the internet with their religious beliefs. There's a place to dicuss religion, it's called a church. Leave it there.
On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:40:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You being uncomfortable does nothing to his Constitutional rights. The word of the day is "tough".

You can leave anytime you want.

Leave here. Now.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Your church says the same about caffeine, NoDoz has caffeine.
So, does this mean you're going to hell with all the other non-Mormon's?
On 5/29/2011 5:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where's the prohibition on cola soft drinks come from then?

On 5/30/2011 6:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The "word" based on what I could find at the lds.org site seems to be based on the "commonsense" definition of what's good/bad for the body (which somewhat surprised me; from what had been told by those w/ whom had most contact I thought there was a specific prohibition on caffeine).
That being so, there's an apparent contradiction on the "hot drinks" of the original proscription being coffee and tea since both (and especially the latter) are often served cold in which case the original wouldn't seem quite accurate. :)
OTOH, given the apparent recasting, what about the recent studies that indicate there are actually beneficial results from coffee on various onset rates for disease? That would seem to lift the "ban"...
Ah, what tangled web we weave...
On a side note, grandfather was raised in LDS, when married she was from Irish Roman Catholic branch. Neither having a congregation where settled in SW KS, they "compromised" and raised all the kids as Methodists. :)
On 5/30/2011 8:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'll leave that for you to determine...

AFAIK, He said nothing about it...
On 5/30/2011 8:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Or, in this case, more specifically, listen to somebody who says _they_ have the inside poop methinks...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

psst....
The poop was from a bull.
On 5/30/2011 8:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Depending on who you ask, the answer isn't always the same, though, is it? :)

Nope. Ask my wife if the Methodist Church is Christian and you'll likely not get the answer you expect either. ;-)
On 5/30/2011 8:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I don't expect any specific answer...it's all anybody chooses... :)
But "official" doctrine is pretty mainstream Protestant, very little substantive difference in core w/ virtually any of other major denominations. Somewhat different in the social field, though, as result of the Wesley tradition.

I understand all the ancient history. The more recent history of the church, or at least portions thereof, are suspect.
On 5/30/2011 11:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Allusion too obtuse; whatever you're after, I don't grok...

Liberalization. Going away from the teachings of Christ. New age gobbledygook. That's why she left the Methodists; they left her first.
On 5/31/2011 6:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Well, not sure there's a real departure there or not...Christ was a pretty radical kinda' guy at the time... :)
I'm only slightly to the right of Genghis Khan as the saying goes, and don't care that much about the central office direction either but out here in the hinterlands individual congregations pretty much go their own way; one of the features of the Methodist organization is that there isn't a great deal of requirement for strict conformance to some set of initiatives.
AFAIK, the official doctrine hasn't actually been changed much (altho I don't go and read it regularly).
But, as I said earlier, everybody has to have their own interpretation and do what they think bestest...I'm too traditionalist to bother to go find somewhere different so just keep on keepin' on at same ol' place where went as a kid since came back home after 30 year hiatus. Of course, stuff has changed here demographically to the point that it's now minority majority and the congregation is dwindling owing to simply a reduction in the candidate population. I suppose it'll probably about last my duration altho the smaller second congregation closed their doors earlier this summer.

"Radical" isn't a constant. Obummer calls Repubicans radicals.

They don't in the East. It's their way or the highway. She chose the latter, as did a rather large percentage of the congregation.

It is a regional thing, sure, but the central church allows it. She went from there to a rather large congregational church (held five services on Sunday, two in a movie theater, complete with popcorn and coffee ;), then to S. Babtist (where she was brought up) after we moved to the South.

On 5/31/2011 6:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Well, I can't imagine a serious S Baptist _ever_ agreeing w/ Methodist doctrine to begin with, but... :) (I certainly don't much cotton to some of their precepts from the other direction so it's pretty much a dead heat :) )
That description sounds like a particular congregational thing as much or more the entire denomination's change in actual doctrine. Since pastors are assigned by Conference; all it takes is a new man in charge and a congregation can have a different flavor the next week after the previous has left. That has the potential to upset the traditional in both directions. :)
As noted previously, I don't believe there's much change in actual theology as stated in the official doctrine since the time of the Wesleys.
The rest is simply trappings around the basic beliefs; there were probably other UMC congregations in the area that were much more traditional at the time if it was a sizable metro area.
But, need to retire from this; this is just _way_ too far off topic, even for a reasoned-tone discussion.... :)