Air Conditioning options

Page 1 of 2
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2 service visits).
I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our crank out BR windows?
Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We only want AC, when sleeping.
On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:

When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That might work.
--
rebel

there are web sites which describe how to mount the exhaust to a casement (crank out) window.
On 5/31/2015 12:56 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

We have casement windows, but where we needed to put the ac unit had the floor space to park the portable unit. It's much quieter than the window unit that quit working, too. When winter came, we just took the vent out of the window and moved the unit to a storage room in the house. I didn't think a portable unit would work so well, but I love it.
--
rebel

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.
Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it seems like it would have to still be true.
Anotehr thing one could do is put a hole in the wall and put the AC in a sleeve designed for that purpose. I don't know what it takes to keep the cold out during the winter.
More in reply to Rebel below

Wow. I was just about to ask you about the noise but you beat me to it. The noise is what worries me the most, and I was thinking of putting a room AC in another room just so I coudln't hear it.much.
What brand do you have, do you remember? Top of the line? Cost?
On 5/31/2015 7:53 PM, micky wrote:

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or 6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.

I should have mentioned that in the house I lived in with casement windows, we had no AC at all. A new owner put in central AC, which was probably pretty easy since it had central forced air heat.
Hmm. If it's too big, maybe he could cool it to 64 before going to bed, then set it to 72 and the thing would stay off most of the night, solving most of the noise problem when he is in there.

Wow, look at this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/spt-portable-evaporative-air-cooler-blue/3157186.p?id 18380511533&skuId157186
I didn't think they sold stuff like this. Certainaly shoudln't use it where there's any humidity** but might work okay in a very dry location.
It's funny how it looks just like a portable AC.
**Like Baltimore, where it usually doesn't bother me but I still wouldn't want to increase it. Sometimes even without this it's humid enough that it makes it feel much hotter.
On 5/31/2015 8:08 PM, micky wrote:

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").
Probably be the best $100 he ever spent. Not!<g>
On Sun, 31 May 2015 22:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

I hadn't thought of that. For some poeple legionella may be the closest they get to a fraternal organization.

On Sun, 31 May 2015 22:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

This is what Wikip says
"Legionnaires' disease is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria. It is not airborne and it is not transmitted from person to person."
If it's transmitted by aerosolized water, how is not airborne?

On 6/1/2015 2:45 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

That's one of the problems with Wikipedia: sourcing
Anyone could enter anything into Wikip and it will stay there - taken as gospel by some - until/unless someone else contradicts it.
I was surprised to learn - though not from Wikip - that legionella can thrive in a home's potable hot water system. Apparently the bacteria can thrive in temps between something like 100 and 120 degrees F in a stagnant run of piping, like maybe a section running to a powder room which is rarely used? How it transmits to the inhabitants is not mentioned. Drinking it? or maybe having it come through a shower head?
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:12:11 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

In fact, not counting the contaminated soil (which is not how the Legionaires got it) it is only airborne.

You're right.

a scary world.
On 5/31/2015 6:53 PM, micky wrote:

I don't think it's top of the line. Probably somewhere in the middle, I'm guessing. It's an Intertek LG 12,000 BTU R410A. It was on sale for $325 when I bought it at Home Depot couple of summers ago.
Compared to the window unit, it purrs like a kitten, but it still has some noise. I can hear the TV over it just fine.
--
rebel

That's important. Even the noise** of the central AC bothered me when it worked, and I kept the bedroom door shut to hear less of it (through the return duct in the stairwell.) **The noise of the air circulation fan. In the winter it didn't bother me. Same speed, one speed fan, but I guess deep down I want the heat more in the winter than I want the cool in the summer. The desire for warmth may be more instinctive than the desire to be cool, since I'm sure more people have died from cold than from heat.

Thanks. I asked before I remembered that my friend offered to lend me one, but he may not be able to find his, or something else may go wrong, so this is very helpful if I have to buy one.
On 6/1/2015 3:59 AM, micky wrote:

Many furnace have three speed fan motors. Cold air is heavier, so the furnace needs to use a higher speed for AC, to push the cold air up. It is very possible the AC is actually louder, due to the higher fan speed.
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:00:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Mine does. The color code showed that it was attached to the lowest speed.wire, but just in case the color code was wrong, I connected it in turn to the two other colors. The diagram was right and I had to put it back on the original, low-speed wire.

Only one speed, same for heat and cooling.

On 6/1/2015 5:43 PM, micky wrote:

never remember if blue and red are low and medium. Black is high.] sh the cold air up. It is very

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/1/2015 2:59 AM, micky wrote:

I'm really happy with the portable AC we have. It works real well for what we need, anyway.
--
rebel

I have a feeling he won't be able to find his AC (because we discussed this last summer and if he'd seen it in the past year, he'd remember seeing it and where), so yesterday I went to that surplus store I mentioned. They still have some, probably the same ones they had last year, that they brought out again.
Only 4 or 5 models, 3 that are 8K, and one only 25 dollars less than a refurbished machines online (including shipping) . Another also about $30 less, But another that seems to be 100 less, One model has been replaced by a newer model, but I'm not sure it's really any better.