Air Conditioner is too narrow for the window frame

Greetings all,
It's so darn hot inside my house lately that I finally broke down and bought an air conditioner. The only problem is that is is 2 1/2 inches to small for the frame. Are there any way to get past this issue without having to pay a carpenter to do a custom installation or having to return it. Is it possible to get a wider plastic casing (the platic frame the air conditioner peeks through) at home depot or somewhere? Any other suggestions... Thanks so much for your input

you tried tugging on the vertical rails? Maybe they are just fully compressed and hidden. If you still have the box, look through it again. Was the box sealed? Maybe the install kit got liberated in the store. Call the store, or look on manufacturer web site- they may have the install kits available seperately. Or just do what we did in the old days- fake it with scrap wood and duct tape.
Or am I being too kind and you need to go back under the bridge?
aem sends...
open accordion as wide as possible add cardboard and duct tape.
as long as security isnt a issue.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

2 1/2" too narrow for frame .
this is a case where I would cut several pieces of 2 x 1 or 3 x 1 timber as fillers , paint them first to match the frame and then seure with some long screws into the window frame . Caulk the gap with a weatherseal foam strip or latex caulk.
Chaeck your install instructions again.

duct tape.