air cond. window to wall

Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

It may not be possible. Air conditioners that go through brick walls have special air routing. On a window a/c the louvers in the cabinet are on the sides. Air is drawn in through these openings and blown through the condenser and then out the back. For the application you describe, the use a different method. The air goes in through one side of the rear panel and out the other side, it makes like a 'U' turn. If you put a window unit in the wall and the side louvers are covered by the wall it won't work properly or at all.
I agree. Ed explains it well. Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City. I'm one could be special orderd anywhere. TB

All the major manufacturers make 'em. http://www.google.com/search?&q=thru+wall+air+conditioners

I've done four of them. As long as the side vents are not blocked (by the thicker wall), it will work properly. Hardest part of the job is cutting the brick. I used a circular saw with an abrasive blade made for masonry. Finish with a chisel
Larger units with a slide out chassis are the easiest. You mount the casing and then slide in the unit. You may want to frame out the opening with 1 x 6 (or whatever thickness) and then screw the box into it.
Be sure there are no pipes, wires, heat ducts, air returns, in the walls first. Safe place is often under an existing window.
<DIV>I agree.<BR>Ed explains it well.<BR>Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City.<BR>I'm one could be special orderd anywhere.<BR>TB</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080>The BORG carries wall units.</FONT><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
(0S4P,3E%#0H` ` end
Don't.
Window AC need to draw air in the sides to exhaust the heat out the back. If you cover the sides (for example, mounting in a wall) the unit won't work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There are a/c units specifically made for wall installation. I don't know how long they typically last, but the one I have appears to be almost 40 years old (before the manufacturer used their current serial number system). On the other hand, a 2nd floor window shaker that looks like current models (installed by previous owner) only lasted me 1 summer.
Something to consider is that future wall shakers may not be the same size as current models.
If you do not want to hack up your nice brick wall, you may want to consider a mini-split unit. It has the evaporator inside and condensor outside, connected with freon lines and power (small hole). They are more expensive, but do not require chopping a big hole out of your brick wall.