air cond. window to wall

Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

Reply to
Sandy O.

"Sandy O." wrote

It may not be possible. Air conditioners that go through brick walls have special air routing. On a window a/c the louvers in the cabinet are on the sides. Air is drawn in through these openings and blown through the condenser and then out the back. For the application you describe, the use a different method. The air goes in through one side of the rear panel and out the other side, it makes like a 'U' turn. If you put a window unit in the wall and the side louvers are covered by the wall it won't work properly or at all.

Reply to
Ed

I agree. Ed explains it well. Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City. I'm one could be special orderd anywhere. TB

Reply to
tbasc

All the major manufacturers make 'em.

Travis Jordan

I've done four of them. As long as the side vents are not blocked (by the thicker wall), it will work properly. Hardest part of the job is cutting the brick. I used a circular saw with an abrasive blade made for masonry. Finish with a chisel

Larger units with a slide out chassis are the easiest. You mount the casing and then slide in the unit. You may want to frame out the opening with 1 x

6 (or whatever thickness) and then screw the box into it.

Be sure there are no pipes, wires, heat ducts, air returns, in the walls first. Safe place is often under an existing window.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree. Ed explains it well. Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City. I'm one could be special orderd anywhere. TB

The BORG carries wall units.

Reply to
LFR

This is Turtle.

Here is a picture if you can pick it up. Throw the Wall units are installed every day and also through brick walls.

TURTLE

begin 666 Whirlpool Room Air Conditioners ACU108PP.url M6T1%1D%53%1=#0I"05-%55),/6AT=' Z+R]W=W

Reply to
TURTLE

Don't.

Window AC need to draw air in the sides to exhaust the heat out the back. If you cover the sides (for example, mounting in a wall) the unit won't work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are a/c units specifically made for wall installation. I don't know how long they typically last, but the one I have appears to be almost 40 years old (before the manufacturer used their current serial number system). On the other hand, a 2nd floor window shaker that looks like current models (installed by previous owner) only lasted me 1 summer.

Something to consider is that future wall shakers may not be the same size as current models.

If you do not want to hack up your nice brick wall, you may want to consider a mini-split unit. It has the evaporator inside and condensor outside, connected with freon lines and power (small hole). They are more expensive, but do not require chopping a big hole out of your brick wall.

Reply to
David Efflandt