Window air cond support brackets

I have an 80lb window air conditioner for a new addition. Room is fully framed & insulated - no drywall yet. New windows.

The unit has a chassis that is put into the window first & comes with small supports for leveling that rest on the outside windowsill. Wife says installing the unit in the wall is a no-no.

I have the chassis in & the leveling supports set but still not comfortable putting in the 80lb unit w/o additional support. I'd rather not put all that strain on the new windows.

HD sells a center support bracket but that seems to requiring screwing into the windowsill. Another no-no from the mrs.

I noticed that one outer edge of the chassis lines up with a stud. I can put another stud in to line up with the other end. Then I thought I could install some sort of angle bracket from the outside under each edge of the chassis right into the studs.

The brackets HD sells are L shaped which won't work because the outside sill is in the way at the bend in the bracket. I figured I could simply take a piece of wood ( 2x4) and cut at 45 degrees on each end and then screw the bottom ends into the stud. Ideally I'd like to find a Z shaped metal bracket just because it would look better.

Would the wood do as a good support? Does a Z shaped metal bracket exist? Any other ideas?

thanks

Reply to
csaag

Ask the mrs. to choose--A/C falls out of window on somebody's punkin' haid, AC has proper support including appropriate holes, AC goes back to store and is replaced with fan, contractor is called and central A/C is installed.

Make sure there are blankets and pillows on couch first.

More seriously if it's a good quality window it should be fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke