Air compressor tripping 20 amp breaker

Page 2 of 2
my god. . . there were only 2-3 guys that gave you the correct advice. it's 1 of 2 things, the unloader as they suggested is bad or if the check valve is not seating , air will be allowed to flow back into the cylinder thus giving the moter a much larger initial load at start up. Do these couple of checks: 1st start compressor and when it reaches it's cut off pressure and stops, loosen the fitting on the steel line going from cylinder to tank. loosen at the cylinder. you should be able to remove the fitting completely w/ out hearing any hissing. IF it hisses, check valve is bad. No hiss = bad unloader, located by your pressure sw. let me know what you find , but theres a 99.9 % chance iit's 1 of those 2 things.
Playintennis5274 wrote:

If the check valve is shot (and unloader is OK), it will continue to hiss (constantly) until the compressor kicks back on. This is common. The compressor will try to cycle frequently to restore the pressure. Everything will seem fine while the compressor is running. Once it reaches pressure and shuts off (actuating the unloader), it will hiss constantly again, etcetera.

Yup. I went out and played with my C/H today. If it shuts off on it's own (switch made) it hisses air. If I turn it off early from the disconnect it doesn't "unload" and it grunts when it restarts. (I didn't try that too many times). I vote for the unloader being bad too. Sorry about the check valve FUD. (Unless machine this predates unloaders).
Had the same thing happen to me, turned out it was a bad breaker in the circuit box. Swapped breakers and it's been running fine every since.
Jim Kohan snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com