Air compressor/nail gun question

I recently purchased an accuset brad nailer (A200BN) and was also given an old air compressor (SMC brand without the owners manual). My question is what is the optimum pressure setting for the nailer to work? The accuset manual doesn't say anything except not to exceed something like 120 psi. I tried it at 40 psi just to test it out and I found it would fire a brad perfectly, then the next would only fire half way in the wood, then the next would leave a dent in the wood with no brad having fired. I'm hesitant to keep experimenting with this stuff until I have a better understanding of it. Thanks in advance.
You're using too little pressure. Wood is of varying density and 40 psi may work in one area but not in a more dense area. Also, the fact that no brad was fired. The way these guns work is that they essentially use the exhaust air from the firing stroke to return the piston to the top. If you have insufficient air, the piston doesn't fully return and the drive pin is lowered somewhat and prevents the brads from advancing into firing position.
Set the pressure around 80 or so.

I have a Stanley brad nailer and I keep the pressure >80 and get good results. Whenever my pressure gets below 50, I start getting the problems that you decribe.

I use my brad nailer, finish nailer, framing nailer, and roofing nailer at 90. Just using a pancake compressor, but haven't had any trouble after 3 years (fingers crossed)