Aging Wood (intentionally)

I was on the set of "Heaven's Gate" several years ago and was in ahh over how they'd taken all of this new wood construction of an old west town and aged it to perfection where the carpentry all appeared to be many years old.

Flashing forward to the present - So when replacing fence boards, is anyone familiar with any staining or painting secrets to help 'age' those new boards and make them appear similar to the rest of the fence?

I've had other applications over the years where I've wondered about that but have the recent issue at hand of wanting those new boards to appear somewhat like the rest of the fence. TIA

Reply to
cover

Try a 50/50 mix of Cabots grey stain and Cabots bleaching oil or stain ( I don't recall exact name). I've used it to reduce the difference between shaded and unshaded siding with excellent results. TB

Reply to
tbasc

I dunno about pine, but I'm told that tenting the wood under a plastic tarp and boiling a teapot of ammonia will silver up oak right quick. (Don't breath the fumes).

Reply to
Goedjn

Is it possible to move the new boards into a less noticeable place and putting the 'misplaced' weathered boards into the new locations? i.e., avoid the checkered look?

lee h

Reply to
lee_houston

I don't know if our fences are made of the same kind of wood, but when I replaced several boards, they weathered pretty quickly. In a couple of weeks, it was not easy to tell that the boards weren't the same age. I'd just let nature run its course.

TD

Reply to
Todd