Advice needed ???

After quite a few years of technical work...I've retired (over 55)....and would like to
find a part time position working in home remodeling or an associated
field such as electrical, tile installation, bathroom remoding... or
even stone masonry. I'm more interested in learning the skills
and obtaining the expertise so I can renovate my own house...
pay is not that important, ( I would look at this as being an
(internship) but again I only want to do this
2 or 3 half days per week, perhaps 12 - 15 hours.
What would be a good way to make this happen??? Should
I contact local builders or contractors??? What about stores
such as home depot or lowe's which hire out to subcontractors???
Would they provide leads ???
I do have a fair amount of proficiency
with tools and own a selection of both hand and power tools.
Thanking you in advance..
Peter
Peter wrote: .....

I'd think that kind of schedule would not fit in w/ a contractor's needs at all except for, perhaps, a call-back guy (and they need to already be pretty proficient).

With the listed constraints, I'd recommend just starting in on your own work, reading/studying as you go. If you have a trade school near, a couple specialty classes might be just the ticket....

Part of the problem with becoming proficient for one project is that proficiency is based upon using the same skills repeatedly. The old saying... " use it or lose it" is very true....if you don't use the knowledge... you will lose it....
going to a trade school to learn for one project just isn't effective....now taking a few courses and using the information continuously would make a lot of sense!!
Peter wrote:

Depends on objectives and time frame to an extent...OP said he's retired but doesn't want full-time work. Here, there are vo-tech classes (not same as full apprentice trade classes) that cover basics of various trades. While not prepared for strking out on his own, a semester or two would succeed in making him aware of basics in areas he currently has no experience...
Habitat for Humanity?

Thanks for pointing this out.... we have a group in Washington D.C. and
also one in Baltimore. I will certainly check it out !!!
Thanks for letting me know !!
Peter
Peter wrote:

I doubt they'll reject any warm body... :)

HFH <IS> a great organization...it's that so many were so dedicated in the location I was in that made it work out that way...

I agree it's worth trying and even if it doesn't work from the viewpoint of a teaching experience, it's still a good experience--I never left feeling "ungood", just decided I could make a better contribution somewhere else...
Peter wrote:

Hmmm...that's amazing to me--but I'll admit I've never lived even very close to a <major> metro area...
Here in a population base of <25000 in the county there's the Technical School w/ classes in all the above (plus a number of agricultural and oil/gas production related areas). Choice of either by individual class or full-blown curriculum. We also have a community college w/ the (somewhat) more advanced academic requirements for various trades and, of course, the full college-prep directions.

I live around the Baltimore - Washington - Virginia area.... plenty of schools and higher education, but very little that is hands on. Once upon a time in the county we had a vo-tech school but the board of education changed the title to Application and Research Lab...and they now teach CAD, Auto shop management and electronic design as "hands on" courses.
You are lucky to have all of that in your area !!
Peter
Peter wrote:

Well, that I can see...the "pollution" of all the high-dollar consulting mentality. There's no such opportunity here for those skills...the largest employers in the area are the packers...
At kitchen demolish time they came by and picked up the stuff removed. Couple years later after they opened a store I called and asked if they would want a sink from a half bath. "Bring it by and we'll evaluate it" was their reply. It wasn't taken by.