Advice needed ???

After quite a few years of technical work...I've retired (over 55)....and would like to

find a part time position working in home remodeling or an associated

field such as electrical, tile installation, bathroom remoding... or

even stone masonry. I'm more interested in learning the skills

and obtaining the expertise so I can renovate my own house...

pay is not that important, ( I would look at this as being an

(internship) but again I only want to do this

2 or 3 half days per week, perhaps 12 - 15 hours.

What would be a good way to make this happen??? Should

I contact local builders or contractors??? What about stores

such as home depot or lowe's which hire out to subcontractors???

Would they provide leads ???

I do have a fair amount of proficiency

with tools and own a selection of both hand and power tools.

Thanking you in advance..

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Peter wrote: .....

I'd think that kind of schedule would not fit in w/ a contractor's needs at all except for, perhaps, a call-back guy (and they need to already be pretty proficient).

With the listed constraints, I'd recommend just starting in on your own work, reading/studying as you go. If you have a trade school near, a couple specialty classes might be just the ticket....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

would like to

Reply to
nospambob

Part of the problem with becoming proficient for one project is that proficiency is based upon using the same skills repeatedly. The old saying... " use it or lose it" is very true....if you don't use the knowledge... you will lose it....

going to a trade school to learn for one project just isn't effective....now taking a few courses and using the information continuously would make a lot of sense!!

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for pointing this out.... we have a group in Washington D.C. and

also one in Baltimore. I will certainly check it out !!!

Thanks for letting me know !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Depends on objectives and time frame to an extent...OP said he's retired but doesn't want full-time work. Here, there are vo-tech classes (not same as full apprentice trade classes) that cover basics of various trades. While not prepared for strking out on his own, a semester or two would succeed in making him aware of basics in areas he currently has no experience...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I doubt they'll reject any warm body... :)

HFH a great organization...it's that so many were so dedicated in the location I was in that made it work out that way...

I agree it's worth trying and even if it doesn't work from the viewpoint of a teaching experience, it's still a good experience--I never left feeling "ungood", just decided I could make a better contribution somewhere else...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
nospambob

Hmmm...that's amazing to me--but I'll admit I've never lived even very close to a metro area...

Here in a population base of

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Peter

Well, that I can see...the "pollution" of all the high-dollar consulting mentality. There's no such opportunity here for those skills...the largest employers in the area are the packers...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth