advice from heating expert?

Would like to field a duct size question if there is an expert out there.
I am splitting up a ceiling return air box. The original was two 12" flex hoses jammed into one box. I took one out. Replace the one return vent and place it in a 2' X 2' box.
Planning to take the other one a bit further to take up the return from another room.
Before I purchased another 12" hose, can I change the duct size up to 14" mid-run? I have a bag of 14" left by the original owner.
thanks richard
Top posting like you do. Chris, did not know you were a expert on heating. ww

Sorry, but you will need a contractor's license to get an answer from any self-respecting HVAC guy ........................
Steve B wrote:

Of all the relevent trades, HVAC seems to be the most protectionist. It's amusing.
On 5/5/2011 10:56 PM, Steve Kraus wrote:

Nah, I've noticed swimming pool maintenance outfits are much worse. :-)
TDD

That's because pool maintenance is MUCH more technical than HVAC........
Steve, ducking and running ...................
On 5/6/2011 10:05 PM, Steve B wrote:

Yea, I know, when I work on an AC unit, I don't usually have half naked women wandering around. Those poor pool maintenance guys. :-(
TDD

We did a condo complex in Vegas Friday that had a salt water pool, the first we had ever seen in 600 surveys. There was one stunning beauty, and I almost lost my footing while trying to photo the pool area. It was close, and it would have been embarrassing. She was a definite job hazard.
"Please explain exactly how accident happened" ....................
Steve

Agreed. Their suppliers are in on it with them as well..
On May 6, 7:53am, "Stormin Mormon"

No, I'm not buying that one. And frankly I think their protectionism is pointless. Hvac is not an area where many diy'rs will go anyway. So worrying about the few that would do it themselves is like worrying about getting hit by a meteor strike.

Nah, the guys over at althvac are always willing to help out a homeowner.
On May 6, 10:38am, "Stormin Mormon"

Since I have occasionally visited alt.hvac I'd say that is an understatement.
As for helping others, alt.hvac was the first place I heard the term "home moaners".