Advantages of the metric system

Using "military" time of 24 hours would avoid a lot of confusion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A lot of metric bolts are blue. IBM used that standard to avoid confusion. The metric allens were blue too. I think that now, metric is so common, maybe they should dye SAE stuff.

Reply to
gfretwell

I also think use of the 24hr clock would be a good thing... I'm personally not used to it and have to think a little when presented with such times, but have a feeling if immersed in it, would be an old pro in a few days

Looks like Decimal time has been dabbled with. (I only skimmed through this article.):

A few years back watch Manufacture 'Swatch' thought it'd be cute to do their own decimal time 'standard' as well. (Only skimmed this one as well):

Think I remember once hearing of... (in Russia possibly?) 24hr UTC in use across a large area. Don't have time to look into it at the moment, but here's the UTC article:

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Fortunately the English through out Whitworth measure at the same time. Back when a good mechanic needed 3 different sets of wrenches.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And how close does an ounce of milk come to being "not important". It weighs more than water you know.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You're right. If he's using them daily it'll be far less sthan a couple of weeks. Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Must have been a pretty poor prof to not have a good answer.

"because it is standardized the world over and every body uses it. No reason not to change it to a decimal system but why bother"

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

One size less than a tubasix. Mostly used for framing walls. Some places cheap out, and use a tubatree for walls. Trailer homes, for example.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The Oktoberfest needs mo beer.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As long as it's Bush's fault when you don't get the right answer?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Silly rabbit. Trex are for kids.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Updoc? What's updoc?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

12 apostles, not 10. Virgin Mary, not Mary with the Cherry. Father Son and Holy Ghost, not Pop, JC, and the spook. 10 disciples might be metric, but we're sticking with 12 apostles.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've worked with both measure for nuts and bolts. No big concern. It's when you run into Y2K and have to add and subtract, the metric comes into its own.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A most interesting interesting Wikipedia entry:

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Does a metric centrifuge take 10 test tubes instead of 12?

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's always been so confusing when somebody suggests we meet for lunch at 11:45 to beat the crowds. I never know whether to show up for it at 11:45AM or 11:45PM

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The apostles must've been chubby. Jesus didn't need a baker's dozen of them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Even if you spell it wrong ;^)

In addition to the Imperial measurement system, Britain used the pound/shilling/pence system for centuries until 1971.

12 pence (d) = 1 shilling (/) 20/ = 1 (pound)

(I'm not seeing any 10's in there...)

So there were 240d per . Folks were very used to doing the arithmetic in their heads for counting and giving change, changing units as necessary. If they were given 37d, they knew immediately that they had "3/1", or "three shillings one pence", or "three and one".

Commerce did not stop -- or even slow down -- on account of the money system not being based on the numeral "10".

Maybe the Metric system is "easier", but it is hardly necessary for figuring out the childishly simple task of determining how many smaller boards you can get out of one larger board. Do you think the builders of Exeter Cathedral had trouble figuring out how to size the materials for that edifice, considering they had to do it all in Imperial?

Reply to
Tegger

Never thought about that. Would mean in the metric system, a car should have 10 wheels ;)

Reply to
Frank