Advantages of the metric system

Page 3 of 5

Zero Dark Thirty is easy to understand if you are used to using military time.
On 10/5/2013 10:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's always been so confusing when somebody suggests we meet for lunch at 11:45 to beat the crowds. I never know whether to show up for it at 11:45AM or 11:45PM<g>
On Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:51:50 PM UTC-7, Vic Smith wrote:

Must have been a pretty poor prof to not have a good answer.
"because it is standardized the world over and every body uses it. No reason not to change it to a decimal system but why bother"
Harry K
A most interesting interesting Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication
Erik

12 apostles, not 10. Virgin Mary, not Mary with the Cherry. Father Son and Holy Ghost, not Pop, JC, and the spook.
10 disciples might be metric, but we're sticking with 12 apostles.
On 10/6/13 12:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The apostles must've been chubby. Jesus didn't need a baker's dozen of them.
On Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:24:30 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

Of course most people went with the familiar, and the experiment died.

ew anything different.

ountry. Maybe they don't want the expense of converting. But aren't they c utting off their nose to spite their face? A short-term view.

radition, King Henry I decreed that the yard should be the distance from th e tip of his nose to the tip of his outstretched finger, thus defining the yard as exactly 1/2 fathom. Whether this actually happened or not, it does seem that the yard and the English foot were set at close to their modern l engths during or around the time of Henry's reign (1100-1135). The length o f the oldest known standard yardstick, believed to date from 1445, agrees w ith the modern length within less than 0.1 millimeter. Today one yard is of ficially equal to exactly 91.44 centimeters or 0.9144 meter.
HB
On 10/07/2013 03:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's a great tale, and rather believable. The only flaw obvious on the face of it is that that would imply to a casual observer that Henry I had a wingspan of six feet and therefore was six feet tall give or take a RCH (or else was quite disproportionate.) A little taller than average today; probably would have been freakishly tall 900 years ago.
BUT. the tale says measuring from the tip of the nose not the center of the breastbone. So then assuming his nose tip would be ~9" higher than his straight outstretched arm, then that 36" is the hypotenuse of a triangle with a short leg of 9" so his height would have actually been appx. 2(sqrt(36^2 - 9^2)) or about 5'9" - 5'10" - average height today; regally tall back then (one would assume that the Royal Family ate better as children than the average rabble; also genetic predisposition to increased height might make a family more likely to be leaders.)
don't know if anyone's ever 100% confirmed or denied the story, but it actually seems plausible. The only fly in the ointment is that when I tried to find a reference for his height, he's consistently described as either "average height" or "short." D'oh!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

He was the king, maybe he simply lied about his height.
I have heard all of my life that a fathom was the distance between your outstretched arms. Something a sailor could do quickly while pulling up a sounding line.

looking straight ahead.. Measure from the tip of his nose, looking left, to the tip of his right extended finger and he might have only had to be 5'6", more or less.

used for each nut. Changing that isn't a couple of weeks.

Right, he'd already know since US cars have had a mix of sizes since at least the 80's. If a mechanic does not have the ability to use both imperial and metric he is probably out of work.
Smart people can make the change in a day, I was liberal with a couple of weeks. I still have a couple of Whitworth wrenches too. Needed them for the Triumph MC
On Saturday, October 5, 2013 4:46:42 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You're right. If he's using them daily it'll be far less sthan a couple of weeks. Harry K

I've worked with both measure for nuts and bolts. No big concern. It's when you run into Y2K and have to add and subtract, the metric comes into its own.
On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 12:47:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

The real reason is we are in an international world now and fewer things will be available in "American" sizes. You can't even call it english because they converted to metric years ago.
Your mechanic has needed metric tools for years unless he only works on 20 year old American cars. Even most of those had significant metric content.
On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 15:49:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Did you have a point?

Oh, good grief. ...and this has to do with cutting slats, how?
On Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:49:20 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Fortunately the English through out Whitworth measure at the same time. Back when a good mechanic needed 3 different sets of wrenches.
Harry K

Public schools don't teach arithmetic anymore. 2+2 is whatever makes you feel good.

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 01:25:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon

NO, there is no "right answer" and it's Bush's fault anyway.