Admiral refrigerator lesson

Got a call to fix Admiral side by side, maybe twenty or thirty years old. Not defrosting. The fellow had the heater and termination stat replaced a couple years ago, so it's a known issue.
The unit had the old "flex tray" ice maker. I mentioned this. He had not used it in years. I offered to take it out. After all, I'd taken out GE and Whirlpool ice makers, to free up some more space.
He called back a couple hours later. had finished cleaning the unit, and plugged it back in. Did not run. I went back, and find that I had to replace both the flex tray and also the motor that drives the ice auger, to get the refrig to come back on. Strange wiring, I guess.
As the gentleman commented "no good deed goes unpunished".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2013 09:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How could you have left without testing it?
I always give things a test run after I complete a repair.
On 12/31/2013 10:34 AM, philo wrote:

I've been working on this kind of thing for 15 plus years, and this is a first to me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2013 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Live and learn.
On 12/31/2013 11:00 AM, philo wrote:

And post to AHR, to share the wisdom.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2013 03:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Whenever I post all I seem to share is stupidity though <G>
On 12/31/2013 6:46 PM, philo wrote:

Those Homer Simpson "DOH" moments are the ones which are most easily remembered.
Eventually, I will have a home repair where everything goes well, and then I'll forget to post to AHR.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2013 5:46 PM, philo wrote:

My friend, you are definitely not stupid and I won't let anyone tell you that and get away with it. ^_^
TDD

Not exactly the same thing, but a wiring "issue" just the same...
My fridge is wired such that the switch that turns the light on when the freezer door is opened also turns off the ice maker motor. This is done to prevent the ice from dumping onto the bottom of the freezer if the user has pulled the ice tray out.
Granted, it turns the ice maker off more often than necessary, but wiring it like that was probably easier (and cheaper) than adding a switch dedicated to the ice cube tray.
You just have to keep it in mind when testing the ice maker. You could spend all day with the door open waiting for the ice to dump and it won't ever happen unless you depress the light switch.
On 12/31/2013 12:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The old expression "a watched pot never boils" comes to mind. Yes, that door switch could really make you wonder what's doing. Thanks for mention it, I'd not considered that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young